Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Daily Routine Help!

Dear All,

First of all thank you for all your help over the past three years, I have been a dedicated reader but this is officially my first post. I hope it works! xD I have been teaching in Reception or FS2 for four years now and this year I am moving to Nursery, which I have to admit frightens me slightly! I am really excited but could do with some expert advice. That's where you guys come in.

My problem is the daily routine :o I want to avoid too many transitions and have as much child initiated time as poss but at the same time need to get adult directed/initiated time in too and breaks for the staff. Any tips on getting the balance right, without stopping and starting too much?

We are a small nursery where the children attend after their fourth birthday,full time 9.00 -3.00 following the settling in process.

I have been searching on the internet and found lots of examples but I was hoping someone had some ideas that were tried and tested. Any recommendations, tips or things that work well for you are warmly welcome!

Thank you,

Lynsey :(

Welcome and congratulations on your first post. Are you following something along the lines of EYFS in the Netherlands?

What's been happening in the Nursery over the last year, and have you 'inherited' any staff who may have valuable ideas and input for you?

I'd say do what feels natural at first and go from there - each yeargroup of children is different, we get a year of children who love structure and want to do what they perceive as 'grown up' work, and then another year when they just want to lie on the floor and brum cars round the floormat. (If you get my meaning) So see what sort of group you have

Hello there Lynsey and welcome to the forum, officially that is as youve been with us a while.

I would agree with Possum, in that its a god idea to see what is there already, eg are there existing staff with you can talk to about the routines? As you read various threads on this subject you will see there there is no 'right' way but lots of ways that can work well. Im a big fan of getting to grips with what is already in place (assuming there is something of course) and then reflecting on any changes you see a need for as you gain greater knowledge of the nurserya dn the other staff.

Great advice already and I have nothing to add since I'm in pre-school. I just wanted to congratulate you on making your first post - hope its the first of many! I'm looking forward to hearing about how you do things in the Netherlands compared with how we do things here - I'm sure you'll have lots to share!

Maz

Thanks for your replies everyone. xD I have inhertited a teaching assistant and I have seen what was in place, so will work with that initially. Although if anyone have any pearls of wisdom or new initiates/ideas I might have missed since leaving the uk my ears are open. I think using this forum and my nursery publications have kept me up to date!

In the Netherlands we are working with the International Primary Curriculum. Although one of the teachers has combined the IPC and the EYFS, taken away the bits the staff thought were 'inappropriate' and added a section on english as an additional language. Have to say it looks great and I'm really looking forward to using it! :o

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your holidays!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)