Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Final Year Research Topic? (ba)

jam17

Hi all I am enjoying summer holidays and long break from Uni studies and work! I need to start thinking about a research topic for my final year. Does anyone have any ideas? Also does anyone know good site for past research papers in Early Years and education?

Look forward to yr ideas -thanks!

For my dissertation I talked about the development of empathy in children through the teaching of history in different aged primary school children.....it was a really interesting topic with soo much information that I found through many sites......I guess that doesn't help much but I would say if you want to head down the emotional intelligence route there is lots of current research and more being done.....with the Primary review looking at broadening the curriculum it could be something to think about.......one thing I learnt from choosing a subject to research is that you have to be really interested in it...it is such a haul to get all the work together and it has to be something you feel strongly about discovering answers.....maybe others will add what they done their's on and it will give you food for thought....good luck.....can't believe I was where you are this time last year....it all goes soo quick, thank goodness! :o

If I was doing it I would go for something on balancing child initiated learning with adult led, analysing what that actually means, and does it mean the same thing to all practitioners?Is it happening and how? I think that would be really interesting and quite a biggie.

Have you seen the TACTYC journals during your course, as they might give food for thought. Also their Reflections site might give you some ideas to follow up on.

http://www.tactyc.org.uk/reflections_papers.asp

If I was doing it I would go for something on balancing child initiated learning with adult led, analysing what that actually means, and does it mean the same thing to all practitioners?Is it happening and how? I think that would be really interesting and quite a biggie.

Have you seen the TACTYC journals during your course, as they might give food for thought. Also their Reflections site might give you some ideas to follow up on.

http://www.tactyc.org.uk/reflections_papers.asp

Thank you so much! This is a subject I have contemplated and that is so relevant to todays practcice.

Thanks again J.

For my dissertation I talked about the development of empathy in children through the teaching of history in different aged primary school children.....it was a really interesting topic with soo much information that I found through many sites......I guess that doesn't help much but I would say if you want to head down the emotional intelligence route there is lots of current research and more being done.....with the Primary review looking at broadening the curriculum it could be something to think about.......one thing I learnt from choosing a subject to research is that you have to be really interested in it...it is such a haul to get all the work together and it has to be something you feel strongly about discovering answers.....maybe others will add what they done their's on and it will give you food for thought....good luck.....can't believe I was where you are this time last year....it all goes soo quick, thank goodness! :o

Hi jam

Some interesting ideas from others already.

I think when it comes to research for our dissertation, think about something that has really interested you during your studies, something you'd really like to know more about. This is a good place to start, is there anything that comes to mind?

It's worth having a look in your uni/colleg's library for old research papers to see what sort of things people have studies before you.

Let us know when you have some ideas, you never know if others here have competed similar studies.

i agree with JacquieL. after giving the EYFS a year to embed, I feel that although the children have learnt through their child initiated play, I feel that had there been more focussed adult led time that they would have made even more progress (or maybe that is just this year's class). We did have adult led time every day at the beginning and end of each session but i felt that any additional time was when staff 'jumped' onto any little thing the children said/did to take them further. if you get what I mean. im trying to say that we have worked with it a year now and feel that we need to make some changes to make our 'outstanding' practice even better.

However, like the others said, follow your own interests. there is nothing worse than trying to get motivated on a subject that doesnt interest you!

kelly x