Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading Books

Hi Just wanted to know how you organise your storytime. We spilt story into two groups. We find this better for the children as of course age appropriate. Do you put down on the planning the books you are going to read for the week or do you just pick random books. Do you allocate certain members of staff to read every day.Also do you leave storytime at the end of the session.

We read a story before we go outside to play. Also do any of you do show and tell anymore. We still have children bringing things from home, but we never show them.

Dorinda

We do different things for variety. Sometimes children are in their key groups for storytime, sometimes all together. If we have storybokks that lend themselves to a particular theme or interest we are exploring then we read those. If not, the day's helper goes to choose one from the library shelf.

Group storytime is just before the end of the session and we have songtime and go. If we're all thoroughly enjoying something particular, involved in something like races or counting daisies or picking peas or whatever, we sometimes don't have story and songtime at all as parents are 'upon us' before we notice the time.

Flexibility is the key, I believe

oh, and PS. We've never had show and tell, or bring and brag. Sometimes a child brings something in and it gets looked at immediately and then goes away in their tray or bag. Something extra special like photos of a new baby will be shown at circle time

Edited by Cait

There are times Cait when I think I work with you - we have very similar thoughts on storytime/songtime we go with the flow, we mix it up a bit, children can get a bit "why no story" if we are running over time which makes me feel very guilty. Stories are told throughout the morning in small groups if the children are in the book corner anyway. For children who bring items in, Key worker will talk to them about it as soon as they can then it is put away safely. Other items such as certificates or photos or an artefact to do with a topic we are learning about, these are shown during group times