Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E115

Hi everyone, I havent started a thread before but have read and been encouraged by many comments on the FSF. I would like to ask all those who have completed the OU E115 if it contains any training on leadership and management or is it all child based.

I have just completed my E123 and E124 (not got result yet but hoping I have passed!). As a result of becoming a more reflective practioner I realise that I could do with some training on leadership and management. I am the supervisor/manager of a small village pre-school, managing 5 staff. I am just wondering if I should continue the foundation degree or side track a year and try and find a leadership and management course. I have tried my local collage but they dont seem to help. Our EY department are starting up an NVQ level 3 leadership and management course later in the year if they get enough people interested. I know the OU do various courses but has anyone done any of them?

But if the rest of the foundation degree in early years covers management and leadership then I dont need to look for a separate course.

Any ideas/coments welcome.

Annabell

There were certain aspects of leadership and management within it, yes, but it wasn't the sole part of the course - bearing in mind that most people undertaking the course aren't leaders or managers. I did Nebs management and also an Educare course which was distance learning just to 'top up' my knowledge. What aspects do you particularly feel you need more training with?

here's the link to the educare one

this one with the OU looks tempting bum - last course started in May!

Edited by Cait

Actually, Cait, in my experience a lot of people undertaking the course are leaders or managers!

The whole idea with the FD is to get you exploring practice, why you do what you do and how to improve it and the team in which you work. E115 brings in a lot of the skills you might need to manage, support and motivate other practitioners as well as yourself. I think it would be good to continue along this road. Certainly give E115 a crack, then maybe take a break for leadership training per se if you still feel the need.

Sue

I am in exactly your position, same job and done same part of OU course so far. I am doing the E115 and waiting to see what it's like before looking into anything else. PM me if you want to chat about the E115 when we get going - mine starts in Oct. Anyone else doing the E115 soon?

From my own cohort with our tutor there were only 4 of us who were actually leaders or managers, the rest were classroom assistants a peripatetic teacher, a sure start area co-ordinator and the others were nursery or preschool workers.

Oh and a childminder!

Edited by Cait

Hi, thanks for those replies. Its good to know that E115 brings in skills needed to manage, support and motivate other practitioners, thanks Sue R for that comment.

Replying to Cait, its really help in managing staff, and motivating them to see that what I have learnt is good practice and not just another change for the group (not that I have suggested many changes). Helping them to see the need to be reflective practitioners, the importance of training etc. and dealing with staffing issues that come up from time to time. And I think just general management skills would help as I have not had training in this area at all. Things were ok when I first took on this job 9 years ago as the pre-school was small and only 2 full time staff and a relief, but as its grown and changed I feel I need more help! Oh thought of another thing, leading staff meetings isnt always easy for me, although I do try to keep people focused but its not my strong point.

My other concern is that the OU are updating the E115 from 2010, so this October is the last time that E115 will run, it changes to E105. I'm not sure if to wait till the updated course starts or go with the old version that has been running for years.

Thanks for the offer of contact, strawberryserge, I'll be intouch if I enrol.

I would like to add that as E115 builds on E123 and E124 it makes sense for E115 to follow on. Yes there are aspects of management in there. Having just finished E115 it has made me a more reflective practitioner and hopefully stand me in good stead of my new role as Manager in September. I too would like to undertake some management training. Personally I did not find the NVQ 3 route helped me in my childcare studies, it seems to me to assess competencies rather than teach much. I have learnt so much from my OU studies, that I feel this would be the best route for me. I did look into slotting a management course in before my next course for the FD starts in the new year but didn't feel I could put my family through that. I promised them 6 months off - just time to get my feet under the table of a new job!! Glutton for punishment or what!

I would be interested to hear what you decide to do. Good luck.

Deb,

Part of you feeling that your OU studies have been more beneficial to you may be that you have grown professionally so that you were ready for these new studies and could assimilate the knowledge and approaches properly. Any earlier and you might have struggled. I have seen newly qualified practitioners embark on the FD full of enthusiasm, only to give up before the half way point, simply because they had insufficient practical experience.

Good luck to anyone considering E115!

Sue :o

Deb,

Part of you feeling that your OU studies have been more beneficial to you may be that you have grown professionally so that you were ready for these new studies and could assimilate the knowledge and approaches properly. Any earlier and you might have struggled. I have seen newly qualified practitioners embark on the FD full of enthusiasm, only to give up before the half way point, simply because they had insufficient practical experience.

Good luck to anyone considering E115!

Sue :o

Hi Sue

You make a very valid point.

My experience of the NVQ3 paper free system was particularly poor I fear which may bias my opinion. xD

thanks Deb, for your views on E115 especially as it is so fresh in your mind it sounds like it is worth doing, enjoy your 6 months off and I hope you do well on your next course.

Thanks cait for your offer of help too.

I have had a visit from my EYIO today and told her about my concerns on what to do next. She actually assured me that I have leadership qualities but dont recognise what a good job I do! Maybe I just need some confidence building on the skills that I already have and use in pre-school. She advised me to continue with the FD. So looks like E115 in October, although I do still wonder if to wait till the revised course comes out in 2010. But I'm not sure if I want to have too long a break from studying.

Annabell

Hi again,

I really wouldn't take too long a break from study, you've just got yourself 'up to speed' again, be a shame to waste that! You say E115 is being updated, one of my colleagues is starting E100 this time, so I seriously think that if you wait for the new E115 you may find yourself disadvantaged. All the prior materials will have been updated (you must have noticed how out of date some of E123 and 124 were, even with the update sent out) and I think for the sake of your own continuity it may be best to go for E115 this time round.

Best of luck, whatever!

Sue

I agree about not taking too long a break from your study. I had an enforced year off due to courses not being available and getting back into the swing of things took a while!

E115 is being updated but that doesn't mean it's being 're-written' in the sense that it will be entirely different to what is currently presented. I would go ahead as planned and do it this year :o

I would agree with Sue and Geraldine, E115 builds on E123 and E124 so it would make sense to do it now I think. It does need updating but only in the sense that it refers to one thing (I won't confuse you with the acroynms) when it should refer to the EYFS and current legislation that is all. E115 is not an easy course but once you come to terms with the terminology you are half way there. I found it a very worthwhile course builidng upon and consolidating my knowledge of the aforementioned courses. Hopefully the tutors will learn from the feedback from this year. I think they can do much to make things clearer.

Not that i have had my results back yet - here's hoping i pass!

Hopefully the tutors will learn from the feedback from this year. I think they can do much to make things clearer.

If you haven't already then you should get an opprtunity to record you views on the course - think there is a link from your student hompage but can't remember now whether you have to wait until you have your results.

I also think the course team will ask for feedback on one of the forums and it is well worth contributing your thoughts and I do know that the course team take note of feeback both positive and negative xD I would spell out your thoughts in crystal clear fashion - if they don't know they can't do anything about it :(

When the OU first started offering EY courses in 2003 there was a group of 'enthusiasts' and as we worked our way through courses towards the foundation degree we started 'nagging' the OU to provide courses beyond the Foundation Degree. We kept on and on :o and that coupled with the fact that students were leaving the OU after the FD to continue to BA level with other universities the OU took it all on board and set about writing new courses and now offer BA and BA(Hons) Early Years. I know it might not seem like it at times and we can all get frustrated with tutors but the OU do care about how students find their study.

It all seems a long time ago now but the first cohort of OU students will graduate with BA (Hons) Early Years later this year :(

Geraldine I'm sorry if I gave the impression that my feedback on this course was all negative. I have indeed replied to the course teams request for feedback, mostly positive and some hopefully constructive feedback on how things could be made easier for students. I think it is easy to forget that E115 can seem like a foreign language at first. Personally i don't think the whole course needs rewriting but I feel tutors could easily provide an EYCLO form completed how they want it completed now, with references to the EYFS, CCSK, ECM and only lastly the PPA if really necessary. Great course, requires a lot of commitment. :o

Geraldine I'm sorry if I gave the impression that my feedback on this course was all negative. I have indeed replied to the course teams request for feedback, mostly positive and some hopefully constructive feedback on how things could be made easier for students. I think it is easy to forget that E115 can seem like a foreign language at first. Personally i don't think the whole course needs rewriting but I feel tutors could easily provide an EYCLO form completed how they want it completed now, with references to the EYFS, CCSK, ECM and only lastly the PPA if really necessary. Great course, requires a lot of commitment. xD

Arghhhh! please don't apologise :o

I was just re reading my message and thinking how badly it came across and was about to edit but you had already replied!

How things can be made easier for students is just what they are looking for :( I totally agree with you about the foreign language and think I used that phrase a while ago when writing about E115 - getting used to the new terminology is a task in itself! I like your idea of a completed EYCLO I think I had a sample one with an 'odd entry' but not that helpful!

I really didn't mean to tread on your toes or come across as being stroppy/confrontational (or anything negative) in my previous post :( I just think current students are in a really good position to influence the changes that are about to be made :(

I was just worried i had given you the wrong impression, I did not take offence, how could I especially as I remember your kind support at the beginning of E115, and I am sure it was you who called it a foreign language back then, very apt! :o

I was just worried i had given you the wrong impression, I did not take offence,

Phew! glad to hear you weren't offended and you certainly didn't me any wrong impression :oxD ::1

Are you getting ready for E215 next??

Well what to do next, that is the problem. Am thinking I will do ED209 next, Child Development. It looks really interesting. It's just the reviews that are putting me off a bit but then they weren't that good for E115 and I survived!

I was tempted to do the two 30 point courses which I believe you recommended but I don't want to prolong my studying by another year and I could not contemplate doing two together on top of starting a new job. Think I'll just bang the cheque in the post and go for it!

I think ED209 is a good choice, not that I have done it but I really like the sound of it especially the psychological aspects.

From the description I also think it will stand you in good stead if you go on to BA :o

I am ploughing through psychological research papers and interesting as they are some previous study with more of a psychological input might have been helpful xD

There are actually several courses I would like to do 'just for fun' and think I will be adding ED209 to the list - mind you I might wait until you have done it and see what you think :(

Well, Deb, I have already nailed my colours to the mast for U212 (as Geraldine knows!). It's a brilliant course and I'm loving it!! My tutor also tutors ED209, and it's one I might consider doing in the future - or is it compulsory later on, anyone?

Starting E215 in October (whoops, repeating myself...going mad??)

Sue

215 was better than 115 - possibly because we knew what to expect, and possibly because looking at the mosaic method of observation gave food for thought! A busy course though - and Mosaic could have benefitted from being a course in itself!

215 was better than 115 - possibly because we knew what to expect, and possibly because looking at the mosaic method of observation gave food for thought! A busy course though - and Mosaic could have benefitted from being a course in itself!

Totally agree Cait :o I LOVED doing the mosaic research, that and good old Bronfenbrenner were simply brilliant! xD

I vowed that all children in my setting would have a chance to do 'a tour' with a camera and all those that wanted to have done so.

Even if people don't want to study the Mosaic approach - getting a child to take you on a tour around the setting picking out their favourite/least favourite areas/resources etc is mind boggling!!

I thought I knew the children so well and that I could pre-empt what they would pick - how wrong was I!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi, well I know its a while a go since I first posted my question about E115 but I would just like to thank you all for your replies and comments about E115 and how it followed on from E123 and E124 and the importance of keeping up with the studying etc. It certainly made me think about what I wanted to do and especially as the courses are being renewed then it makes sense to do the E115 before it changes as it will link in with the previous courses. Therefore I have registered with ou to do the E115, I have my first tutorial on Saturday 10th October and the first 3 TMAs have to be in by the 16th October!

Any tips on how you kept your WBLF and PEF? Just getting my head around all the EYCLO (I can actually remember what it stands for now!!)

Many thanks :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)