Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E100 The Early Years: Developing Practice With The Ou

I'm so excited I've just received my confirmation of registration and I'm desperate to get going... it only starts in October.. anyone else

I'm starting E124 with the OU in October as i've done E123 last October. E100 has took over these two courses. Good luck

I'm so excited I've just received my confirmation of registration and I'm desperate to get going... it only starts in October.. anyone else

Hi Carla

I remember feeling excited when I started out with the OU :o

As Charlie12 has said E100 is a new course being presented by the OU for the first time in October this year.

I did E123 and E124 when they were first presented back in 2003!

I am just coming to the end of my OU study with my current course being the final one for my BA (Hons) in Early YEars.

It's been a roller coaster of a journey but with many more highs than lows xD

I wish you every success with your study and am sure you will enjoy it.

There are lots of OU students who are members of this brilliant forum so if you need any help just shout :(

I can second Geraldine there. There are lots of us here (I'm nearing the end of my Foundation Degree) and the OU is a great place to study. I've had such tremendous support from Tutors and a certain lady on here (you know who you are!!)

Enjoy!

Sue :o

I'm nearing the end of my Foundation Degree

Sue :(

:o Gosh it seems to have gone quickly Sue, doesn't seem so long ago you were starting out with E123 xD

I am rather envious of you doing U212 though and one day I will do it just for fun as I have heard nothing but glowing reports :(

Oh, you really must!!

It's SOOO interesting and thought provoking :o That said, I've really struggled getting a handle on latest assignment - but on track now, phew! But don't forget it's one of those pesky ones with an exam!!

Yes, Geraldine, I start E215, last course for FD, in October - all registered and raring to go (is it as much work as E115??)

Carla, it just keeps getting better as you go along!!

Sue xD

Oh, you really must!!

It's SOOO interesting and thought provoking :o That said, I've really struggled getting a handle on latest assignment - but on track now, phew! But don't forget it's one of those pesky ones with an exam!!

Yes, Geraldine, I start E215, last course for FD, in October - all registered and raring to go (is it as much work as E115??)

Carla, it just keeps getting better as you go along!!

Sue xD

Ah! the pesky exam might put me off but then again it wouldn't be 'counting' towards anything so the result wouldn't be quite so relevant xD Having said that I have done one OU exam and that was a level 3 course last year - I still smile to myself that I actually managed to get to the venue and write 3 essays in three hours and managed to pass the darn thing!!!!

As for E215 I hope you love it as much as I did - it was brilliant - you carry out a small scale research - it's all about looking at your practice through the eyes of a child - it's mind blowingly fascinating :(:( As for workload I guess it's more simply because you are going up from level 1 to level 2 (but you have U212 experience of level 2 study under your belt). You still have all the EYCLO's but also have three RLO's ( well that was the case when I did it not sure if they have changed it due to EYFS)

Sorry Carla I didn't mean to hijack your thread but maybe you will be able to feel a general OU enthusiasm :( :wacko:

sounds all so exciting... and lots of work! I can't wait to get started...

any books you couldn't have done without ladies?

sounds all so exciting... and lots of work! I can't wait to get started...

any books you couldn't have done without ladies?

I'm sure you get all you need of the OU. They prefer you to quote from their materials rather than use other books,etc

Hi Charlie!

Yes, they do prefer you to show how you have "engaged with" the course materials, and show how doing so has altered your thinking and practice. However, as much of the material is from referenced, widely ranging published sources, the opportunity to read further is almost irresistible.

For E215 I have tracked down a copy of "Listening to Young Children: The Mosaic Approach" by Alison Clark and Peter Moss. I first encountered this as referenced work in E124 but couldn't get hold of a copy. Now I have, it's really interesting.

If I were you, Carla, I'd wait and see what you fancy from the course materials :o

Sue

Hi Charlie!

Yes, they do prefer you to show how you have "engaged with" the course materials, and show how doing so has altered your thinking and practice. However, as much of the material is from referenced, widely ranging published sources, the opportunity to read further is almost irresistible.

For E215 I have tracked down a copy of "Listening to Young Children: The Mosaic Approach" by Alison Clark and Peter Moss. I first encountered this as referenced work in E124 but couldn't get hold of a copy. Now I have, it's really interesting.

If I were you, Carla, I'd wait and see what you fancy from the course materials :o

Sue

Thanks for all your help ladies, I'm sure I'll be back here soon!

Hi

I am also starting E100 with the OU in October and like you can not wait to get started.

Will keep in touch and maybe we can help each other if we get stuck.

Luv

Tracey x :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geraldine

I am starting E215 in October. The course materials don't arrive

until September, so your post gave me a sneak preview.

I like the idea of looking at practice 'through the eyes of a child'

but does this have to be a child in your setting? I have just

lost two 4 year olds (who would have been brilliant) and will

only have very young babies. Is it OK to just imagine or does

it have to be factual research based on your own setting?

Also I've read somewhere that you have to do a presentation?

Is that correct, if so who do you present to?

Laura

Hi Geraldine

I am starting E215 in October. The course materials don't arrive

until September, so your post gave me a sneak preview.

I like the idea of looking at practice 'through the eyes of a child'

but does this have to be a child in your setting? I have just

lost two 4 year olds (who would have been brilliant) and will

only have very young babies. Is it OK to just imagine or does

it have to be factual research based on your own setting?

Also I've read somewhere that you have to do a presentation?

Is that correct, if so who do you present to?

Laura

Hi Laura

Yes it had to be a child in the setting BUT don't worry I am sure there are ways round it and your tutor will be able to advise you. I can't really see how you could imagine it - you will be applying the mosaic approach which involves carrying out several pieces of small scale research using a different mosaic 'tool'. For example the first one is a 'tour' of the setting where the child takes you around the setting. Of course babies couldn't do that but again don't worry I know when I did the course there were people working with babies but I can't remember how they did it- sorry!

You are right about the presentation, you do this when you have carried out all the research activities and put them all together to create 'a picture'. I have had a look at some old posts of mine and have copied and pasted a couple of paragraphs below - I can't yet put a link in to previous discussions! :o So apologies if it is a bit repetitive but hope it helps.

You are actually looking at your practice through the eyes of child. Over the course you will carry out research using different 'mosaic tools' and evaluate your findings. At the end you kind of 'put it all together' to create the 'big picture' and have to give a presentation to colleagues and then get their feedback. Worth spending time on this as you send in an evaluation of feedback on your presentation - just can't remember now whether it is for a TMA or the ECA. I was apprehensive about doing a presentation especially as I had some people I didn't actually know that well but it was fine and I loved it -

I had a reception class teacher that I had never met (a friend of a colleague) I had my colleagues and my boss and can't remember who else! Some people did flashy powerpoint stuff but I didn't. I printed an agenda for the presentation and they all had one and I had lots of photographic evidence. I remember giving a kind of introduction saying what I had been trying to achieve and why, I explained the mosaic approach so that they all had some initial understanding of what it was all about. I remember explaining briefly about Bronfenbrenner and his ecological theory and explaining what the different layers of the environment were. Did you meet him in E115 I can't remember! I gave them 'any questions' at the end and also a questionnaire to complete with lots of spaces for 'any other comments'. I remember I actually cried when I got the feedback because it was objective but also very positive. The only criticism was that instead of having fairly small photographs that they passed round it would have been better to have big ones they could have all seen at the same time - that was very fair criticism and I wished I had thought of it beforehand! I chose to do the whole thing quite informally which suited me whereas others chose a more formal approach but it's really down to you what you do and how you do it and who you invite. I wouldn't worry about it just go with the flow and of course by the time you get to it you will be bursting with all you new found research data and itching to share the excitement of your findings .

Geraldine,

Would it be OK to invite parents,amongst others, d'you think? I've done workshops in the setting and I think I would feel more comfortable with folk who know my style?

Yes absolutely :o

The only thing is that you would have to be ultra careful about confidentiality of the children 'used' but you could take care of that by explaining at the 'permission stage' how you intend to share your research fingings - I guess the parents of the children you 'use' would be ones that you would invite but other parents would no doubt be interested too.

Hope I don't appear like 'grandmother teaching you how to suck eggs' and I am sure you are fully aware of all the many ethical/confidentiality/annonymising issues after doing E115!!!

Yes absolutely :o

The only thing is that you would have to be ultra careful about confidentiality of the children 'used' but you could take care of that by explaining at the 'permission stage' how you intend to share your research fingings - I guess the parents of the children you 'use' would be ones that you would invite but other parents would no doubt be interested too.

Hope I don't appear like 'grandmother teaching you how to suck eggs' and I am sure you are fully aware of all the many ethical/confidentiality/annonymising issues after doing E115!!!

LOL!! Given the nightmares whilst awaiting results (failing totally for failing to delete setting name on a policy, for example!!) Yes, I most certainly am! xD:(

Emma, good luck, you're very brave, having just finished NVQ3; just stay calm and focussed - you'll be ok. Oh, and manage your time!! (I had a bit of a problem with that recently... but then, I was overlapping two courses!)

Sue

Thanks for the advice on the presentation for E215 Geraldine. As usual you are a mine of information and so generous to share it. :o

I too will be starting E215 in October and my last course E230 next Feb. I'm in the middle of E243 - Inclusive Education at present and hopefully will finish just in time to start E215. No rest for the wicked eh!! :(

Hope all is well with yours at the moment Sue R. I'm with Geraldine in that I would love to do U212 as a stand alone course. I've heard so much about it from so many people.

Good luck to all of you just starting out with the OU. It's been great for me and I've loved every minute of it........even if I do a lot of complaining coming up to assignment time!! xD

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)