Really Easy Recipe Needed

Yep!!! :D

Here goes:

'Fork Biscuits'

4 oz (100g) soft butter or marg

2 oz (50g) castor sugar

5 oz (150g) self raising flour

Pre heat oven to 180 C and lightly grease two baking trays

Beat marg and sugar together and gradually beat in sugar.

Mix in the flour

Bring mixture together with your hands to form a dough

Form dough into balls about the size of a walnut and place well apart on the baking trays.

Dip a fork in a little water and use this to flatten the biscuits.

Bake for 15-20 mins until pale golden, leave to cool.

The above ingredients makes about 16 biscuits

Alternatives: chocolate version use 41/2oz flour and 1/2 oz of cocoa

Orange - just add the grated rind of 1 small orange to the basic recipe.

I haven't tried the choc. or orange versions but make the basic recipe ones regularly at home and they are delicious!

Recipe taken from Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake book

ISBN 0-563-36790-3

OH and if you have the book the apple and cinnamon cake is out of this world!! :D

I made two 9inch ones yesterday and there is none left :o

Thanks for that recipe Geraldine. We have a couple of children who are allergic to eggs, even to touching them, and I have been on the lookout for a simple eggless recipe for ages. Most of the ones I've got need the ingredients rubbing together.

Linda

Oh never thought of that Linda!

I actually got the recipe from my OU tutor! I went to a tutorial and she provided them and they were so yummy I asked her for the recipe!

I did once try using granulated sugar as I had run out of castor and all I can say is don't!!!!

It's so simple even the youngest children can participate, the older ones love the pattern the fork makes and when cooked they still have the fork marks on - suppose that's why they are called fork biscuits! :D

Oh thank you so much! I wonder if it is possible to use the cutters instead. I guess it might be time for me to try this recipe at home first! lol.

Guest alisonjayne

Made these this morning such an easy recipe thanks we made lots ready for our Christmas play tommorrow.

Will try with cutters another time when we have more time. Thanks :oxD:(:(

We made 60 today ready for our christmas concert tomorrow. I didn't try the cutters but to be honest it prob needs a touch more flour and they would be ok to use. The kids loved it, and the smell was delicious wafting out of the nursery. I had several members of staff wandering in looking for "leftovers" lol. I sent them packing sharpish.

Ooooh, I know a lovely egg-less recipie for a no bake cake, it's called choclate whisky cake :D

You could always do a whisky free version for the kids, then a dd a few slugs (of whisky) to the grown up portions.

Not what you asked for, but will try and dig it out!

Sally

Has anybody got any experience in baking with gluten free flour ?. A new child with gluten free allergy is starting nursery in the new year. I was just wondering how we are going to do baking sessions. At the moment 4 children bake in turns, but all children are given the produce to take home, I can only do this if we use the correct flour. We also have children with egg allergy but I get round this by not baking when this child is in session ,if using eggs that week. How do you do baking sessions? Do they take home , share or eat !!

Thanks

my friend has coeliac disease and thefore follows a gluten free diet. She does a lot of her own baking, but uses commercially made gluten free flour. There are some books she uses for recipes, I will see if can gget the title from her.

Gluten free stuff tends not to rise and can be a bit heavy. Id certainly experiment yourself first before you have a go with the chidren.

We share our baking within the family group that made it, and we tend to avoid baking with ingredients we know children have an allergy to. All of our children are full time so its a bit tricky to bake on days when they are not in, so we just dont use those ingredients.

• 10 months later...

Once made some gourgeous cherry sweets.

The cherries were soaked in cherry brandy, probably need to miss that out!!

But then you wrapped the cherry in marzipan then dipped it in chocolate, they were yummy.

Little book of cooking from Featherstone education does have some good recipes as does the old Berol book.

For 10 truffles...

100g/4oz chocolate drops (white or plain)

25g/1oz butter

25g/1oz icing sugar

50g/2oz plain cake crumbs

2tbsp desiccated coconut

2tbsp chocolate sugar strands

Small paper cake cases

Melt chocolate and butter in bowl over hot water (or however you usually do it)

Sift in the icing sugar, add cake crumbs and mix well.

Leave to cool until firm and thick.

Put coconut and strands on separate plates.

Scoop a teaspoon of mixture and drop onto a plate, roll it around until it is covered in cocnut/strands. Put in cake case.

Leave to chill in fridge for 30 mins or until firm

Pandamonium,

For the fork biscuits I think you just cream the marg and sugar together then add the flour. This makes a dough which you form into small balls, then squash with a fork.

I have made them with my children and they work well.

Jackie

:o Thanks Jackie, I got yet another book today (I'm sooo bad!) that did actually have the same recipe in!

Funny story... started making the fork biscuits with my 2 year old yesterday. Was following recipe then got to the second sugar ref and had a quick search thru some books to see what other recipes had same ingredients. Most of mine had an egg or yolk.

Decided to stay with what I had as people had mentioned on here how good it was there was no egg in it...

So, got a cup of water to dip fork in.

Went to get baking tray and Kitty said 'This water Mummy?' I said 'Yes' and brought tray over. Picked up cup.... empty xD

She'd tipped it in!! I drained what I could... added some flour but euw it was like stretchy dough!. Threw it away and made gingerbread instead!!!

Just had to tell you - we made the truffles today YUMMMMMMMM

It was a spur of the moment thing really but I had a big bar of Tesco value chocolate at home (50p for 200g bargain and delicious) and we had digestives left over from Staff training on Monday :o

So used the biscuits instead of cake crumbs (3 biscuits instead of the 2oz). Each child had a small sandwich bag with half a biscuit in and they love love loved crushing them with wooden rolling pins!!

Definitely recommended

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)