Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Intake Children Under Aged 2?

Does anyone know if you can have under 2's at a pre-school (if you are able to comply with a 1:3 ratio) I can't find any info about this on google and I haven't personally heard of it. We are getting so many parents of children who are not yet 2 but constantly enquiring about their place on the waiting list saying 'he's just soooo ready!' They don't want a nursery because it is not childcare the parent needs and they feel they have exhausted the local toddler groups etc and when their child is of age it is our setting they have chosen... hmmm...

I DONT HONESTLY KNOW - COULD YOU SPEAK TO YOUR DEVELOPMENT WORKER OR SUPPORT TEACHER - IF YOU BEONG TO PSLA THEN YOU COULD ALSO PHONE THEM - WOULD BE INTERESTED TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY SAY -IT WILL MEAN A CHANG ETO YOUR REGISTRATION WITH OFSTED AND ALSO WILL HAVE TO HAVE CHANGING AND SLEEPING AREAS PERHAPS?

the way I understand it is that if you can meet the requirements for having under twos in the session

(ie space, ratios, seperate area for the under twos and the over two)

then Ofsted are more flexible towards individual groups obviously youll need a new certificate and stuff

some settings let the parents attend taster sessions one day a week for a few weeks before the child is two which because the parent is still in the session doesnt compromise you registration requirements.

I'd also be a little concerned about how keen the mums are to get rid of their under two's (what are these under twos like?)

Is having under twos the best thing for the sessions? considering the impact of constantly watching for chokeing hazards and limiting what is available free access and differentiating the activities for such a wide range of abilities and needs, we found that now we take children from two parents don't see us as preschool but prenursery and although it means we get the children attending the sessions for about 12-18 months they are leaving early so that they arent in a group with 2 year olds.

do you offer sessions every day? could you offer a shorter "creche" session one day a week for the little ones? we find the full 2.5hr standard session is a bit long for some of our just 2's

what about setting up an "older toddler group"? aimed at providing activities for the 2 year olds

Perhaps what these parents need is some support with finding activities to do with their children. Perhaps ideas for imaginative play or being directed to a local toy library.

Alison's idea for an older toddler group sounds good. One where they are not likely to run over the babies on the bikes and can make lots of noise and mess.

Do you have a local children's centre who could provide advice and resources for these parents?

If you bring these children into your group you will really change the dynamics and once you have done it, it would be hard to go back on it.

Isn't it specified on your OFSTED registration?

Ours says something like

No children under 2yrs

Must not provide overnight care

We take them literally the day after the second birthday and I know for us that having them any younger wouldn't work in preschool.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)