Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

This Cannot Be Legal?!

Lucy P

A member of my staff is in arrears with her rent, when she went to the letting agents yesterday to sort out the payments she found that she was at the top of the 'name and shame' list, displayed in the main office.

Now as a business owner, when she told me this, I thought "too right", would love to do this with parents outstanding fees, but i then found out that the details on the board consisted of her full name, full address, telephone number and amount of money she owed!

Surely they can't display this info, it must be their responsibility to keep this confidential?

The board can be viewed by anyone who walks into the letting agents.

I just feel its a bit over the top and wondered what your views are.

No, in fact, it is perfectly legal to 'name and shame', by putting out a notice with name and amount owing. Don't know about putting all the other details, such as address and phone number ( only because this might lead to weird phone calls),but the rest IS legal.

I think its against data protection to display details without permission but if when the staff member signed her rent agreement there was small print stating bad payers would be named and shamed then yes it might be legal Id tell her to phone CAB

......but I know what you mean some days I would love to name and shame I joke with parents when they come in grovelling about late payments about putting their name in the window, I think it was common practise years ago but I didnt know anyone still actually did it