Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Abuse Against Staff

can anybody help me.I am the leader of a new Pre-school in Grimsby.I am waiting for my first ofsted inspection and I am also preparing to start our accreditation.I need an Abuse Against staff Policy,can anybody help me? :o i need other things too but I won't ask for too much at once.

P.S love the site.I have recommended it to loads of friends

Hi Gaynor -

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your comments! :D

What exactly do you mean by 'Abuse against Staff'? Would this be from parents, children, or managers? Or any combination of the above...

And who has told you you need one? (Just as a matter of interest - I'm not saying you don't need one, it's just that as you probably read in the Policies article, different organisations and people have differing opinions on what is vital for particular settings...)

Regards, Steve.

Hi,

My Line manager suggested I write one.I suppose it is just what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't.I just wondered if anybody had written one before.

Yes thats right.I know a few schools in my area have one and I am trying to have a look at theirs.It may just be a policy the is popular locally???

Gaynor1971

Ive never heard of nayone needing that policy before, do you know if abuse of staff has been a big issue in you area? I would have thought that you could include a section on abuse (along the lines of it wont be tolerated) in with another policy eg parents as partners. A section entitled complaints or what to do if things go wrong or something like that would be Ok wouldnt it?? Could you ask your line manager to show you where to find some examples or help you to write one if she/he feels it is necessary.

good luck

Thanks,

I have been given a poster that another Pre-School uses and I am going to adapt that.It will only be a few sentences but i don't think that i need any more.

Gaynor

• 2 weeks later...

I would really think twice about having such a direct policy adopted or notice displayed. Current practice is to adopt a positive link with parents and encourage their partcipation within the setting. This is very negative. My own children are now teenagers and I run my own pre-school but I think as a parent to be confronted with such a notice would have made me think a) what sort of families are my children mixing with and :o what sort of setting is it that attracts abuse from parents. i.e. are parents abusive because you aren't offering a high quality service? If you are being asked to write such a policy then you need to know why and perhaps phrase it in a way that is more towards parents and pre-school staff working together in mutual respect.

If you do need something written about abuse to staff then perhaps you could incorporate it in your Equal Opportunities or Behaviour/Disciplin Policies along the lines of "treating EVERYONE with respect - staff, children and parents.

Thanks Steve - any more little 'features' we should know about?

Jan :o ??? oops, didn't work that time!!

I would agree that a poster about such a policy would be rather negative. I would think that a few sentences incorporated within another policy would suffice. Like with rules for children, it can be worded positively, in terms of the partnership that you expect to build with parents and open, trusting communication and respect for one another's role. That sort of thing.

Let us know what your line manager says and what you finally do - this is interesting, and not something I've come across before.

Hi -

Sue Zabair asked a similar question in a new thread. To avoid duplication I've closed the other topic and I quote her exact question here:

Hi Everyone

I'm currently doing OU Foundation Degree and my next assignment is on Parents as Partners. We do have a policy in my setting along with all the legal stuff,  but I am interested to know how other settings work with parents and what they include in their policy.

Hi again -

In our nursery we've decided to try to engage the co-operation of parents in a positive way, rather than through what would sound like a fairly negative policy. So we've drawn up a 'Parents' Charter. When new children start, in addition to the usual starter forms they receive this form, which they're asked to sign up to. It lists what they can expect from us (care for their children etc), and then what we expect from them (courteous communication, parking sensibly, paying on time, etc).

It's a kind of tactful way of saying that we'd like them to treat us in the same way they expect us to treat their children. Since we've only just introduced it I can't tell you how it will be received, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do. They get to keep a signed copy from us, and we get a signed copy from them.

If anyone thinks this might be appropriate for them I'm happy to post it for you to download. Let me know! :D

Regards, Steve.

Sue I am doing this OU course too - and am also doing parents, we do not have a policy for parents even though I think we should have ,so I cannot help you I am afraid

can anybody help me.I am the leader of a new Pre-school in Grimsby.I am waiting for my first ofsted inspection and I am also preparing to start our accreditation.I need an Abuse Against staff Policy,can anybody help me? :o i need other things too but I won't ask for too much at once.

P.S love the site.I have recommended it to loads of friends

You need to have a policy on this,its another one from our friends!If you want one i can send you one.

• 1 year later...
Hi again -

In our nursery we've decided to try to engage the co-operation of parents in a positive way, rather than through what would sound like a fairly negative policy. So we've drawn up  a 'Parents' Charter. When new children start, in addition to the usual starter forms they receive this form, which they're asked to sign up to. It lists what they can expect from us (care for their children etc), and then what we expect from them (courteous communication, parking sensibly, paying on time, etc).

It's a kind of tactful way of saying that we'd like them to treat us in the same way they expect us to treat their children. Since we've only just introduced it I can't tell you how it will be received, but it seems like a reasonable thing to do. They get to keep a signed copy from us, and we get a signed copy from them.

If anyone thinks this might be appropriate for them I'm happy to post it for you to download. Let me know! :D

Regards, Steve.

1440[/snapback]

Steve,

Hope you had a nice break ......

Found this as an old forum link but would be interested to see your version of the parent's charter, please could you post it.

Thanxs, kizzy :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)