Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Staffing Requirement. Your Thoughts Please

HI,

due to staffing restructure we now no longer have a fulltime level three person working with our under 2's. now i know we need one and have told the owners this. there answer:

" Dawn, we have three staff all just completing their level three's, and one other doing her level three, so we will have plenty of level three's"

my response

" yes, but we have not employed any of them as level three" (they all joined us as level two and have doen NVQ training with us)

Owners: " We do not have to employ and pay them as level three in order to meet the EYFS requirements, as technically they are level three even though not employed as level three, we will be fine if ofsted question us".

okay, who is right, me or the owners... i sadly think the owners may be right.

I would love for all the level three staff to be paid as level three, but from a business point of vies nursery can not really do this just yet.

any thoughts?

Dawn

Thought as much, still a silly rule though, :o

Thanks for such a speedy reply

The owners I'm afraid EYFS just stipulates "at least one other member of staff must hold a full and relevant Level 3 qualification." not that they must be employed at that level.

I would love for all the level three staff to be paid as level three, but from a business point of vies nursery can not really do this just yet.

So does one of your "level-3s-but-paid-as-level-2" act as room leader? Or do you not have a room leader at present?

Maz

HI Maz

In answer to your question :

So does one of your "level-3s-but-paid-as-level-2" act as room leader? Or do you not have a room leader at present?

we are a small setting, 53 place, four rooms, with a manager, deputy and senior. therefore none of our rooms have room leaders... do we need room leaders?, and if so do they need to be paid level three?, so no, none of the level three's, but paid as level two's are room leaders .... i say we don't have room leaders but then again we do have deputy and senior working in rooms so they could be classed as room leaders. however they both work in the older rooms.....

could the deputy / senior 'room lead' two rooms, ie support there room and one of them support baby room, and the other toddler room.....

my concern now is i am really thinking we may not be covered in terms of having room leaders...

im getting confused LOL, which does not take much at this time of day LOL

Dawn

Edited by Guest

Do you have different job descriptions for level 2's and level 3's. I am in a maintained nursery and the expectations of the jobs are different.

Sue

my concern now is i am really thinking we may not be covered in terms of having room leaders...

Sorry to confuse you Dawn! I really don't know how full day care works, but in the ones I have experience of, they have room leaders and deputy room leaders who are responsible for how that room runs, supervising staff etc. I think I'm right in saying that both deputy and room leaders would be level 3 qualified (and paid in that capacity). Whereas other nursery assistants may well be qualified at level 3 but have no supervisory duties, in which case I don't know whether they'd be paid extra to recognise their commitment to training.

Perhaps others who work in full day care can comment on whether they have room leaders or not, and whether it is a requirement, but please don't panic on my account. It was just an idle enquiry!

Maz

HI,

due to staffing restructure we now no longer have a fulltime level three person working with our under 2's. now i know we need one and have told the owners this. there answer:

" Dawn, we have three staff all just completing their level three's, and one other doing her level three, so we will have plenty of level three's"

my response

" yes, but we have not employed any of them as level three" (they all joined us as level two and have doen NVQ training with us)

Owners: " We do not have to employ and pay them as level three in order to meet the EYFS requirements, as technically they are level three even though not employed as level three, we will be fine if ofsted question us".

okay, who is right, me or the owners... i sadly think the owners may be right.

any thoughts?

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

You may have read in my recent post on the subject.........it is true the EYFS only states 'holds a recognised level 3 qualification' not 'employed as a level 3' so Heads/Managers can get away with using staff's additional skills/knowledge without paying them for it. IT'S ALL WRONG! :o

The powers that be should pick up on this loop hole and change the wording on the document to include both 'holds' and 'employed as'.

I can't believe unions have not picked this up either.

HI,

Maybe it's me - but I read that as the three members of staff have not actually completed their L3s yet, and seeing as 'working towards' doesn't count now, then tecnically they are not L3 yet anyway.

When I did a stint of bank work for a nursery chain I was employed specifically as the L3 in the baby room as there was no-one on contract that held L3 availablefor that room......that said it might have just been comapny policy to have the L3 in each room.

xxxxx