Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys

Hello

I was wondering if anyone would share their stories or examples of how they have tackled learning journeys in their settings.

I am currently looking at reviewing how my staff do learning journeys and we appreciate some other ideas and feedback.

Many thanks

Congratulations on making your first post TinaElizabeth. As you have been 'around' for some time you may know that this has been the topic of many conversations in the past. If you do a forum search (Blue capsule on top right-hand side of page) for 'Learning journey' as the title of the thread you'll find lots!

Personally we are using a modified version of the Southampton format plus many of our own pages, and it works for us. It's split into 3; the parents complete the first section about their child, then it's key person observations and 'child interviews' along with things that the child wants put in the file which can be anything from picture they've done, to photographs of them doing things, a feather they found outside, a bus ticket, a handprint etc and lastly the EYFS 'stepping stones' which we use as headings for mini observations.

All the staff are responsible for their key children's paperwork, and as the Manager I oversee it (and have my own key children too)

If you do an observation and you record some negative behaviour by the child, would you put that observation in the learning story? Someone has suggested to me we write an edited summary, but with reception class adult to child ratios I fear that would become unmanageable.

I wouldn't put anything in a Learning Story I wouldn't want a parent to read, as ultimately they go home. I have a behaviour tracker notebook where I write things I think may need recording - just to see if there's any pattern. It's also useful if we have to ask for external support if everything is annotated.

I wouldn't put anything in a Learning Story I wouldn't want a parent to read, as ultimately they go home. I have a behaviour tracker notebook where I write things I think may need recording - just to see if there's any pattern. It's also useful if we have to ask for external support if everything is annotated.

I'd agree, Cait. Applying for ESAP or starting off a CAF form is so much easier if you have everything written down. Our scrap books, which is our way of documenting Learning Journeys, are more of a celebration of the child's achievements, although we do track to ELGs and put next steps in there too.

Tracy :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)