Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colouring Rice

emmajess

when I colour rice I put the dried rice in a large oven proof dish, sprinkle with food colouring and pop in a hot oven for a few moments. Just make sure you don't leave it in the oven for longer than a couple of minutes. When you remove from the oven stir the contents of the dish making sure all the rice is covered in the food colouring, good luck, mrsW.x

I don't cook mine at all. I just add food colouring to the dry rice and stir well! It doesn't look as though it's going to work at first but it does. We did all the colours of the rainbow one year and put it into the tray in the correct sequence, it looked lovely-but not for long!!

Linda

works both ways, we used to mix it and then lay on trays in warm oven to dry out, depended on how deep we wanted the colour, more food colour took longer to dry so hence the oven, and when making loads it was quicker,

we too did the rainbow effect, they loved it for 5 seconds before it was destroyed!

Inge

(as an aside, have you tried just a largish blob of black colour in the water tray, it was not mixed in and stayed there for ages as no one wanted to touch it!)

yeah same as linda except I put mine in a plastic bag (with no holes!!) add the food colouring and just shake and squish the bag - it takes minutes!

Wow!! It looks great! Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the bag I used that should have had no holes in had a tiny hole in so I've got blue food colouring blotches all over one hand! Oh well, the mark of an early years teacher!

Wow!! It looks great! Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the bag I used that should have had no holes in had a tiny hole in so I've got blue food colouring blotches all over one hand! Oh well, the mark of an early years teacher!

Ah well never mind emmajess - just think how much fun the children will have with the rice tomorrow!!! :o

i love this coloured rice idea, i did it for my preschool children on monday and they loved it! it wasn't at all hard to do and it looked really good. Fab!!

• 2 weeks later...

late coming in with this but never mind.

I coloured rice blue and as part of a water topic we used the coloured rice to make 'raindrops'. Mixed the rice with PVA glue, took ages to dry but was very touchy feely. Kids loved it.

Don't store the coloured rice. I kept leftover rice in an airtight container in a cupboard, went back top get it weeks later and it was covered in mould!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry late in posting on this but only just got back to using the site again.

I colour rice using old biscuit tins. The rice can be placed in the tin and a few drops of food colouring then get the children to shake. Remind them to keep the lid held on tight as they do it, but they have a lot of fun in the process and love opening the tin to see if the rice has changed colour. Try adding blue to red rice etc for colour mixing.

I have stored the coloured rice for a few months before with no mould, I think the key here is to make sure it is fully dried before storing.

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

I stored some in plastic airtight tubs and it went mouldy, but then some that was dyed at the same time that I had stored in a metal biscuit tin didn't go mouldy.

I also keep an open tray in my writing area drawer unit and that hasn't gone mouldy!