Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Every Cloud...

Well after a year of moving furniture around I finally had my class the way I wanted it - went into work last Monday for a full inset day on my own (it was supposed to be for reports but I'd done them), had a great time sorting out "The cupboard" and was feeling all pleased with myself.

Then the flood came over the weekend xD. We've only managed to save a few old tables with metal legs, all the decent furniture is ruined - carpet on a skip - you name it.

BUT!!! Have spent today with a big catalogue replacing old bookcases with lovely new craft centres, etc. :o

If you could start again - is there one piece of furniture you would put first on your list? We can't just do straight replace because the stuff we had is so old. It is only a wish list at the moment until we find out what the governors are prepared to pay for, but I might as well use the disaster as a chance to start again.

Thanks,

Tracy :)

Oh, and given the choice, would you put the carpet back down or go for something else? I'm pushing for the latter option with taped down rugs, etc., but the head thinks noise will become a massive issue, and that the rugs won't be good for safety.

Edited by Guest

"zoned" flooring would be great - soft where you need it and hard wearing and scrubbable in the wet zone and messy zone. Everything really depends on your funding but I have always had a hankering for Community Playthings furniture such soft curves and smooth surfaces, very well thought out and planned. Have fun with your wish list - you just never know - it might come true!

Carpet! but you do need some areas where you can be messy.

I like the horseshoe shaped tables that you can get as you can sit in the middle and the children sit around the outside. Its easy to interact with everyone! but they are quite large so really depends on your space.

My heart goes out to you Tracy-we were flooded about three weeks ago and I thought we had got everything sorted. But have discovered today that there is still water under the flooring in one of our rooms! I have given up a bit now because the end of term is so close.

My piece of equipment that I would have every time is from Community Playthings. It is their help yourself trolley for craft bits and pieces. It is so accessible for the children and we have had so much use out of it-worth every penny!

Linda

Thanks everyone

I've had a look at the trolley Linda - looks great, and what we could store on it is equivalent to 2 big bookcases we're throwing out, so hopefully the cost will bear that in mind.

As for your own flood issue - be careful - this is our 4th time in 4 years, although the others were only surface water damage. Last year, the diocese thought our carpet was worth saving - it wasn't until the middle of the summer holidays that the mould started to grow on the carpet, then it was cleaned with an industrial cleaner, but the mould came back again so the carpet had to be pulled up and thrown out then too - that's why we insisted on ripping it up and throwing it out this time. Setting up a classroom from scratch the day before the children came back in September was no joke! I'm getting a reputation for having a new carpet every year :o

Edited by Guest

Thanks for that advice Tracy. I took out most of the equipment from in there yesterday, not much fortunately, and pulled the floor covering right back. It is soaking! I have left it back over the weekend and have decided to replace it over the summer. I will have to let it all dry out obviously but that should cure it.

We are, fortunately, not part of the church so I can decide myself what happens with resources and equipment. And I have a dad who lays carpets etc. who only ever charges me for the actual flooring not his time so it shouldn't cost too much.

Linda

And I have a dad who lays carpets etc. who only ever charges me for the actual flooring not his time so it shouldn't cost too much.

Now I'm jealous!

...and thanks for the kind thoughts, SmileyPR :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)