Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How About This For A Job?

Hi

Well saw an advert advertised for a teaching assistant in the foundation unit of a primary school about 8 miles away. There are 2 posts going one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

I mailed them about the fact that I am currently doing diploma in pre-school practice etc and hopefully will be qualified by Dec etc and if they thought i was suitable candidate to email application form.

So need to know any idea what the job entails? is it like a pre-school...how does it differ etc

Is it something you think I should be going for or stick to pre-schools?

Any advice/info appreciated!

Plus how do you work out wages?

Salary is £16,991 pro-rata for 16.25 hrs per week. it will be as a school ie term times but paid over the whole of the year. How do you work out how much it is per month?

Would it be 16,991/2 and then divided by 12 to get per month?

Or do you think you have to work out that in actual fact TA only work 38 weeks of the year so salary would be 16,991/2 x39/52 and thn divide by 12 to get per month.

Baically is the value they quote the wags actually per annum or have you still got to work out actual weeks worked per year. Does make a big difference!

Edited by marley

Hi

It's a bit late for me to think about the pay side of things, I just looked at the numbers and they scared me! I am a TA in a foundation unit in a primary school, this is my second job and I have worked for 8 years in a TA role. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to work in a pre-school! My problems started after I finished my Foundation Degree, whilst studying I learnt all about good practice, child development etc. etc. I now see all sorts going on around me, I'm work in a lovely school with a fantastic team but the problem is the practice. We still have wet play times here, there are no observations, children's interests are not reflected in planning. There are positive things happening and everyone works hard. I just feel that we are a couple of years behind everyone else, I also felt like this in my last school. I do try and implement change and I have a very supportive line manager, it's just hard. I have friends that work in pre-schools and they love it and often talk about things which I would say is good practice.

I'm not trying to put you off schools and I'm sure there will be TA's with very positive experiences of practice in schools. My response probably isn't particularly helpful but I just wanted to say how I feel. Good luck with whatever you decide. :o

P.S I'm also grateful that I have a job!

Edited by sienna

Hey Marley.

I don't know exactly how you work out the wages but I think it would be similar to how you said...........

You need to find out first if the full time wage of 16,991 is for 32.5 hours a week or 37.5. The amount you get paid will be very different between the two.

Pro rata will mean it will be be 16.25 hours of the fulltime wages............... hence you need to find out full time hours.

If full time usually means 32.5 hours it will half of the amount they advertised!

If you ring your local county concil wages office they should be able to tell you the annual wage there!

As for the job in school it will have its benefits but its drawbacks too............. then I expect every job would be the same!

I would say if you can afford it and fancy a change go for it!!

Most of our TA's in school are level one paid but many have level 3 quailifications!

To work in early years soon you may need to be level 3.

I am not sure what the course you are doing comes out at?

If you were to get an interview it might be worth saying you would like to get a level 3 qualification in the future.

Anyway, good luck!!

Pay is usually based on 37 hours unless it says otherwise, and paid for the equivalent of 38 weeks. Do they give an hourly rate as you could work it out from that? Around here the hourly starting rates are roughly L1 £6.2. L2 £7.10 and L3 £8 .00 and there is a short incremental scale. Ring the LA for clarification if need be.

Schools vary, and in some practice might not be exactly what you wish as there is a lot of pressure from above and not all SLT really understand EYFS. On the other hand some schools lead practice and have been working as you would wish for a very long time :o I would suggest going to visit to get a flavour of the place and show your interest. It might help you decide what to do.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately cant get to visit just yet as car off the road :o

Have checked out the schools website and its brand new, with new foundation unit , eco friendly school etc.

They have emailed me info and application form. As for wages it actually only says a points system but that full time hour are 32.5 . Hence th 2 posts are 16.25.

have filled it in and just about to snd

Will let you know what happens.

Scarlett th Diploma is levl 3 but wont actually get qualification until Dec. I have explained all this to them so its down to what thy think.

Sorry awful typing but having trouble with my eeeeee and sssssss buttons!!

Guest heleng

I think it means that if the job was full time (37 hours a week) for the whole year (52 weeks minus holiday entitlements) then you would earn £16,991 but as the job is only for 38 weeks and then only part time that gets taken into account.

These factors make a huge difference and make a job that seems OK pay into actually quite low pay.

Good luck :o