Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Psrn Observation Help

Hi,

Well it's that time of the term again when we are all being observed in Maths. I have a Reception class of 30 children and have the maths co-ordinator and Head teacher coming to visit me on Tuesday and they want to see how I am challenging the Most able group of children in maths. It can be on any area and its a 30 minute observation. That can be an input and an activity or just an activity time with a couple of groups. We are thinking about the story of Jasper's Beanstalk this week and our writing focus is to make our own book about growing a plant. We have also been thinking about animals and insects recently. :o

But feeling totally blank about PSRN ideas as we have already had lots of plant measuring going on this term and don't want to repeat that.

Any ideas to help would be appreciated, think my brain is on overload after almost finishing my reports.

Nicky Sussex xD

Could the more able children design and build their own beanstalk (which has to be freestanding and a reach certain height) from a selection of resources.

Perhaps they could make an insect each in sections beforehand and then play 'build a beetle' with them?

Have you seen the beanstalk clip on the profile exemplification materials disc? Don't know if it's on the website. Are you east sussex, brighton and hove or west sussex, out of interest? I'm east sussex. (sorry about lack of capitals. Been writing reports all day (still!!!) and haven't got the energy to type with two hands! :o

No haven't seen the clip but have just found it online and think I might get a group outside tomorrow to number giant leaves and then they can use them for the rest of the week. Also liked idea of building a giants house might adapt that to be Jasper's house again outside.

Thanks for the ideas about the clip

Can understand about reports, just got one more to write and will be pleased when that's done.

Nicky Sussex

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

You can also do some problem solving by explaining that Jasper has 10 or 20 bean seeds to plant but only 4 pots etc so how many seeds can he put into each pot. Give the children an empty pot and some seeds - could be in pairs or if more able individually. Encourage them to think of other ways they could do this using two pots or more. Are there any left over, what if a bird took one seed away?

Another nice example is to see how many seeds each child can hold in their hand, estimate first then take a handfull and count them out. Encourage children to draw the answer on paper by drawing around their hand and then drawing the beans inside. Can they show this another way? so support them to write a sum using the picture as a visual cue or write numerals.

Hope this helps for next time?

Edited by LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)