Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Absence

Hi

I have a member of staff you has been with the setting for 14 months now, she has the odd day off every month for different reasons, always phoning in sick. it's getting to the stage when the other staff are starting to get annoyed at having to cover her hours for her all the time..... but as we don't pay them when they are off sick, i don't know what to do, i have had discussions with her about it but nothing ever improves... do others have these problems and how do you deal with them...

My staff have an agreement to cover each other's shifts, on the whole. So they tend to arrange between them who will cover and then 'pay back' a shift. I've told them that this is fine as long as it doesn't happen a lot for Key Person issues as well as being confusing for me!

Case in point, one little boy on Thursday, on seeing that a member of staff was leaving at lunch time looked at the replacement member of staff (whom he usually sits with to eat his lunch when he stays on Tuesdays) 'But I haven't got my lunch today'. So they DO notice!

We have had similar absences of late from one staff member. It's difficult to tell if it is legitimate - and I'm sorry to say I don't always believe the reasons given, it does put an extra strain on everyone else. which is undesirable, but we don't get paid if we don't turn up for work, so never feel able to have a real "go" about it, just shows a lack of team spirit I think. If anyone wants time off it seems less of a problem if they just say, I can't get in on Wednesday, sorry, I need to be somewhere, doing something else, can you find cover - would far rather this type of honesty which in 99.9% of cases would receive a positive reply, than the last minute phone call, can't come in I've been sick all night - which is an especially good one because they know the policy is 48 hours before they can return to work.

That hasn't really answered your question - sorry, bit of a rant there. Could be your member of staff is not happy in their work and team spirit is a little lacking - as you have had chats about it already I assume you have done all that you can to address any problems. I suppose it comes down to whether you trust them or not and if not a written warning to improve their sickness record might be heavy handed, but might just do the trick.

we have a back to work questionairre for all staff each time they are off work they fill in giving details of why they were off work, reason why they are able to return to work, what they have done whilst off to help them return to good health, whether they are on medication-what it is - and whether need to take during work hours and then if there is anything we can do to help them.

this is completed each time and then helps to keep track of illnesses and days off and possible reasons why off - you could then chat to member of staff and ask if too many days - cut down on days etc.,

hope thats a help x

Thanks for all your replies... love the idea of the questionnaire when they return........

i wouldn't mind if they said they couldn't be in but these last minute phone calls is upsetting the other staff as i then have to phone and ask if they will cover at an hours notice....might try the questionnaire and see if its a bit of a deteriant if they have to fill this in on return... thankyou

We do pay staff for a limited number of days sick each year, they have to complete a sick form when they come back and we keep a log of the illness. That way we can see if there is a pattern and ask them to see the doctor if a pattern does show. I also think the act of signing the form helps them to realise it is important.

If a member of staff has no sick days during a 3 month period, they also earn a 1/2 day extra annual leave.

Once their permitted number of sick days are used up and so they no longer get paid, it is amazing how healthy they become!

Gruffalo2 :o

I work for a small chain which is part of a large company. I have a member of staff who hasnt done a full month this year. I've recently had HR in to speak to her and the upshot of it is she has been given a pre verbal warning and if her attendance doesn't improve then she will be given a verbal warning. We also have return to work interviews.