Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Permanent Exclusion From Nurseries

Gezabel

I have been thinking about an article in the National Press and wondered what others thought on the exclsuion of young children from Early Years Settings

I am not talking about suggesting that a child may be better suited at an alternative setting I am talking about staff making the decision to expel/ permanently exclude a child and then informing the parents of their decision.

The article I refer to is that of an 18mth old boy who has been "banned for life" from the day nursery he attended. He started there when he was four months old and until recently there were no problems. He attended four full days a week but has now been banned for biting another child!!!!

I know the papers dont always get it right but his Mum said that her, her son and the staff were all happy until July this year. Her son came home with a bite mark on his head ( bearing in mind he would have only been just over a year old at the time!) Mum wasnt too happy but accepted such things happen and signed an accident book to say she had been informed, Since then her son was bitten on his arm and leg on separate occasions and again she was informed and signed the accident book. When she asked that the staff kept a closer eye she was told "We can't watch him all the time" Now her son has bitten another child, she was telephoned, asked to collect him and told he was banned for life. Mum has complained to Ofsted and her son is now settled at another nursery where they think he is lovely!

I thought biting was a normal part of child development - well in that it is not uncommon in young children and hardly what I would have thought as a crime worthy of a life ban! especially as the little chap is only 18 months old - just wondered what you all thought

Wow! Geraldine, which paper was the report in? You've already suggested that we ought not necessarily to believe what we read in them...

I'd have thought that support, and working on any unwelcome behaviour would have been more appropriate.

In any case, I'd have thought banning for two years (rather than life) would have been sufficient! :o

We had a little girl in Nursery, (and she is tiny, although she is three!), who will just throw a major tantrum at anything. These tantrums can happen maybe 3 times a week, or once a month, but if there is something that she does not like, she has a tantrum.

In the past, she has kicked and hit adults, and we have moved her for some time out, and she has calmed down, and apologised.

However last week, she grabbed hold of one of my staff's earrings,a dn tried pulling it out of her ear. It took two other adults to get this child off my staff member. added to this she nipped her cheek and her hand.

In discussing what to do with this child, the idea of excluding her did come up, but we decided not to go for this option, rather trying to sort out the behavioural problems.

We have since found out from Mum that this child displays these tantrums at home, and tries to hurt people at home as well

It was in the Daily Mail either Friday or Saturday. Virtually a whole page article with huge photo of the little boy.

For me it's sort of a hypothetical question whether to exclude or not as I have never been in the position where it has even been considered. I like to think that I would see a problem as a challenge and with staff, parents, outside help if necessary etc we would resolve the difficulties. I realise the reality may be very different and of course you have alll the other children to consider.

I sort of feel that I would feel a sense of failure if I excluded such a young child - it isn't really resolving anything just passing it on to someone else :o

The only circumstances we would consider excluding a child is if the parents of a child with behavioural problems refuse to work with us in dealing with the situation. In our behaviour management policy we have the following:-

"in the unlikely event that a parent refuses to work with us we may feel it necessary to discuss the possibility of their seeking a new placement for their child"

We feel that we need to be doing everything we can to work with parents to deal with behavioural issues, in the child's best interest. If the relationship between us and the parents has broken down for some reason then the child is better off making a fresh start somewhere else.

Having said that, we have never even considered excluding a child, as we've always managed to work with the parents and their children to resolve issues.

Carolyn

We believe the idea of excluding a small child is not an option. Working with child, parents other agencies etc etc is our option. we all look on it as a challenge to help child and parents and feel satifaction when it works, or when you have helped them to seek advice and help of others.

Inge