Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crb Checks

Can anyone help please?

How often do CRB checks have to be done for staff working in Pre School/nurseries? I have heard that they need to be updated regularly. What amount of time constitutes 'regularly'? and can someone point me in the right direction (Web site or documentation etc.) where this has been mentioned/identified as a requirement.

I await in anticipation

Thank you

Dot - I haven't had any information about any changes - where would I find this?

How often do other settings update their staff CRB's?

We were asked to update every three years by the LA but when I spoke to Ofsted and TMG who do our checks, I was advised not to unless I had a concern about a member of staff. They suggested if a staff member left the setting for a period of time that they should be treated as new staff when they returned and a new CRB done. However if we did still want to recheck we would have to pay for them. As we are a voluntary group we could not afford to do this. I explained to the LA and they backed down on their demand we recheck every three years.

Thanks Holly - this is what I am hearing too - hence the initial question. Was hoping someone could shed light on any mandatory or legal requirements for rechecks.

I dont know about other proffesions but there are no legal or mandatory requiremnets that CRB's are redone in ours. Only that they are not able to move with you from setting to setting. I think this 3 year thing was started by some ofsted inspectors, certainly we had one who told us this some years ago. I got so fed up with being told different things by different people I now have it in writing..

This will alll change though wihen ISA is up and running the new scheme, which I beleive has now been put back unti July 2010. But I'm not definite on this date & am assumming that Ofsted will still want CRB's done, even when it is up and running. I wold imagie your EY's will be able to tell you what is happenning.

I am a countersignatoty for CRB's at a junior sports club and all our coaches, managers, committee have to have their CRB renewed 3 yearly. Perhaps the 3 year rule is only for sports clubs or is just good practice. CRB's are not transferrable between organisations because if someone commits an offence, each individual organisation that has requested a CRB check is notified.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am already aware that CRBs are not transferable from setting to setting, but am hearing mixed messages re: updates. I have searched for any legal/mandatory requirements but have found nothing. I think the 3 yr update is generally regarded by LA's as good practice, but would Ofsted want to see evidence that CRB's are updated?

I have it in writing from Ofsted that they don't need to be updated and we haven't been asked for that at inspections. That said it might depend on your inspector on the day. But as they would advise no updates needed I can't see how they can inspect for it.

Ofsted actually told me they were OK with bank staff having CRBs from other settings (how is it different to agency staff after all)?

I have just recieved a new contract from the L A, (funding) part of the contract to recieve nursery funding is that the CRB checks have to be renewed every 3 years.

Well why would they do that when 1) ofsted WILL NOT renew unless your position changes and 2) None of us really know what will be happenning with the new vetting & barring system (when it eventually starts) 3) For staff (apart from managers) whatever agency you get your crb's done through will say you dont need to do it.

Fizzy - this is exactly the type of clause our LA tried to enforce. They backed down with a letter from Ofsted to the setting advising that they were not required, and a similar one from TMG stating we would be charged if we undertook them as renewals. If I were you I would try to challenge the LA as see if you can change their minds. Good luck

CRB's are not transferrable between organisations because if someone commits an offence, each individual organisation that has requested a CRB check is notified.

I had no idea that this happened. Doesn't it put paid to the idea tha CRBs are only any good on the day they are done? If you get updated about any later offences it makes them a lot more use.

I had no idea that this happened. Doesn't it put paid to the idea tha CRBs are only any good on the day they are done? If you get updated about any later offences it makes them a lot more use.

It also means you would not have to re do them as you would be notified of any offences. Can I ask who told you that this happened?

3 yearly seems common practice but also at staff appraisal you should also ask the questions that are they still in good health? do they have any additions? and have they had any criminal activity that they need to declare. ( this was sugested by an ofsted inspector after a child minder who had a drink problem was bathing a baby and the baby drowned) CRB are only correct the day thay are printed.