Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Police Cautions And Crb Checks

Just after some info (not for my setting, for a friend who can't post on here)

She works for a child care setting and has heard on the grapevine that a collegue was arrested after a fight with someone who had been harrising her for a while, apparently she was given a caution and the other lady was fined and also cautioned. My questions is, this collegue hasn't told anyone at work, should she have done? would it effect her employment?? Should my friend tell her manager?

Thanks

HI,

if this person was cautioned then it will show up on her crb, as we employed someone and a caution came up on their crb form, this was about two and a half years ago.

Dawn

yes we also employed someone who didnt say anything but when crb returned had a caution on it - again it was a fight - but if the person has already crb checked then it wont come to light. perhaps the lady in question needs to tell the mangement about it - it would be better for her to do so.

Enhanced disclosures will show up cautions and also any investigations that have taken place. I think if it was me I would tell my employer straight away, and before a new CRB was done. I think honesty is the best policy. Imagine if they found out another way. If the other party was fined, then it has been to court as she can't have been fined and cautioned, she must have been 'bound over.'

She really really should be open and honest. I am pretty sure that she will find the registered person will get a letter informing him/her about the caution, even before her next CRB. This does not necessarily mean the employer will have to let her go, but will the setting management will have to decide if they still consider her to be suitable to work with children. Openness and honesty will usually go a long, long way to re-assuring a management.

I know that will take courage and probably be somewhat embarassing, so I do wish your friend has 'favour' with her Management.

Gruffalo2

P.S. We have just added a clause to our 'terms and conditions' of employment saying staff must declare these things, so it is really clear that this is essential.