Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Question Help

Jo jo

I have been asked this question as part of my studies "what can key stage 1 and 2 learn from the foundation stage?" I have thought of lots of things such as learning through play, real experiences, starting from the child's interests, partnerships with parents, cross curriciular links, assesment/observation, child inciated learning, outdoor environment/ learning. Just wondering if any one can think of anything that I have missed? Ideas and suggestions greatly recieved.

Thank you

Think you have covered many bases!!

All good ones I think!

My experience lends me to feel passionate about years one and two working from the childrens interests and at their own level of development through play and real experiences.

No "getting ready for the sats" type issues!!!!!!!!!

Key stage one could learn alot I think from us EY's!!

hi there,

have been chatting about this to some teachers and LEA peeps for my diss recently. They highlighted what about the emphasis on wellbeing, social skills? All the PSHE stuff that goes on, the learning to learn things too. These are aspects that are sidelined in the NC and are just soo important.

Edited by chocisgood

I might include

Every child is unique

Positive relationships

Enabling environments

And children learn and develop in different ways.

I also feel that building on a child's strengths as well as their interests is an important theme.

My feeling is that there is a significant disparity between the philosophy of the foundation stage and that of mainstream schooling, both primary and secondary.

I don't see how you can get continuity when the FS encourages teachers to work from children's interests, but in KS1 and 2 most schools will be planning in the traditional way, e.g. teaching mostly as a whole class, planning in many classrooms from the curriculum/teacher rather than taking its lead from the children.

I do harbour hopes that this heralds a total re-think in the model of schooling which we currently use, which we've inherited from the victorians basically and which doesn't really suit modern children or our modern world.

Hope that makes sense, although I'm not sure I answered your question.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)