Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3 Hour Sessions In Maintained Nursery

Hi

Hope someone can help. I know this has been coming for sometime but head has stuck head in sand! 'its not happening until 2010'. We now have the letter advising us to start asap due to disadvantage area. have tried to work out how to go about it, need ideas that work so I can go to head before they tell me what to do i.e work more hours, commitment etc. Did have an idea that they should employ someone else to do cross over- 8.50 -11.50, then 12.10 - 3.10? Main schools times are 8.45-3.15.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi

Hope someone can help. I know this has been coming for sometime but head has stuck head in sand! 'its not happening until 2010'. We now have the letter advising us to start asap due to disadvantage area. have tried to work out how to go about it, need ideas that work so I can go to head before they tell me what to do i.e work more hours, commitment etc. Did have an idea that they should employ someone else to do cross over- 8.50 -11.50, then 12.10 - 3.10? Main schools times are 8.45-3.15.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi fancyfull,

I work in a nursery class and we have been doing 3hr sessions for a while now. The morning session is 8-30am till 11-30am. Have 15 mins prep time then half an hour for lunch. The afternoon session starts at 12-15pm till 3-15pm. It works really well. Attendance is good and as the nursery sessions operate just either side of the normal school day parents with older children in school only have to make one trip. Support staff ie. me (nursery nurse) and a TA staff the nursery out of the normal "teaching hours" but our nursery teacher is usually there too, unless she has meetings etc. Hope this helps. :o

Hi!!

I too work in a maintained nursery and we are almost at the end of our second year of offering the 3 hour entitlement!

We work with 2 sessions: 9-12 and 12-3

The middle hour 11.30 - 12.30 is the end of one session and the start of the other and we use this time for lunch!

The timings keep us in line with school opening and closing!

Hope this helps.

There are 2 staff in the morning 2 at lunch and 2 in the afternoon

We are a 39 place nursery unit with teacher and 2 NNEB's whoes contracted hours are 8-30 to 3-30. We have been doing 8-45 till 11-45 and 12-15 till 3-15. We have had an extra NNEB from 10-30 till

1-30. This is to cover the shift system we have for lunch breaks and I have been allocating my 2 NNEB's some off timetable time for their planning and if they have time to input on into our online tracker (they don't usually get time to do this).Having done this for a year we are feeling very down as we get no time together as a team. I am usually there by 7-15am in order to get the nursery ready for the session and to do any photocopying etc. If everything is done by 8-30 then we do get 10mins on 3 days to chat (other 2 days are briefing meetings). So, we are hoping to change the times to start at 8-35am and 12-30pm. The NNEB's will loose their non contact time as we don't expect to get any extra help but at least the children will get continuity of staff and we get some time together. The NNEB's have said they will work extra time unpaid to see the children out.I dont feel that I can ask anything more of them so I will be dealing with inputting the information for all 78 children on the tracker and teaching 6 hours a day, although I will get 3 hours PPA each week and some extra time for all the administration I have to do. With all that I can't see how we can take on learning journals for 78 children.

I will keep looking at this thread with interest hopfully to get some tips

Anne

We are working 8.45 -11.45 and 12.30 - 3.30 and the head has employed someone to come in at lunchtime to prep the areas for the afternoon so staff have a 45 min break (in theory)

Lunch break is always in theory isn't it?????

Cx

Hi

we are about to start in September. We will work from 9-12 with teacher & NNEB then 12.30-3.30 with the first half an hour being packed lunches with NNEB and dinner lady then 1-3.30 with teacher and NNEB. This means the NNEB has 1/2 hour for lunch freetime then 1/2 hour to eat their lunch with the children and have 15 mins still at the beginning and end of day for feedback and set up. The teacher will get a lunch hour 12-1pm.

The classroom is in the process of being set up so that resources are on shelves so set up time is kept to a minimum and children access what they want from the drawers and shelves and we add resources or change them as we go along (which is then wrote on the plans) and it changes as the children's interests alter so we may do this within the session.

I think i have thought it through will let you know in October!!

Parents are happy with the arrangement and only 2 parents have chosen not to send their child until 1pm and stick to the 2.5 hours and they have children who will be 3 years 2 weeks old.

hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)