Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Isa Vetting & Barring Scheme

I wonder whether it's necessary to include something about this on job advertisements, and maybe job descritptions,in the same way as you might to say that an enhanced disclosure is required at the minute. I know it doesn't start until 12/10/09 but it does start with new entrants to the sector, I believe. Is it too soon? What do you think? Can anyone suggest appropriate wording?

We have been advertising for a new leader and I believe our EYIO say that we should mention in the interview that all new staff will be "vetted" under this scheme at some point in the near future, it was too late to put anything in our advert.

Edited by Guest

i guess really it should be assed to your advert

going off at a slight tangent are you going to make staff pay to go on register or will your settings pay

Thanks for replies.

Payment - haven't really decided yet. I don't think exisitng staff have to be done for a year or so but it's the setting precedent I'm concerned about especially if we go through periods of higher staff turnover than we currently do, although I suppose at some point new staff will be coming already in possession of one so we'd only have to redo CRB. I've thought about sharing costs somehow. What about you?

Hi,

I thought that the launch date had been put back -

"From 26 July 2010 all new entrants to roles working regularly with vulnerable

groups and those switching jobs to a new provider within these sectors, will

be able to register with the ISA and be checked. Employers can subscribe or

register an interest in an individual’s ISA-registration status to be continuously

informed of changes in an employee’s registration status. To ensure robust

testing and to maximise the safety of vulnerable groups, the mechanism

that keeps employers informed of changes in registration status will also be

introduced in July next year rather than October 2009"

This is from the "Vetting and barring scheme update - April 2009" I found it on

http://www.isa-gov.org.uk/pdf/VBS_Stakehol...r-April2009.pdf

Don't know if that helps or if that just confuses the issue!

pw x

I thought that the launch date had been put back -

Yes, you're right, PW: when I went on my safer recruitment training recently we were told that there are still a few glitches in the system and until these gaps have been plugged, the introduction of the ISA has been put back to next year.

At least we know that they aren't going to launch something that isn't fit for purpose, no matter how embarrassing it might be!

Maz

It seems to be being launched in stages beginning in October. The site is open now for information on what is happening.

http://www.isa-gov.org/Default.aspx?page=387

So things are still moving on. Here's the main info in terms of dates when things will start happening:-

• From 26 July 2010 all new entrants to roles working with vulnerable groups and those switching jobs within these sectors will be able to register with the ISA and be checked by them.
  • The legal requirement for employees to register with the VBS and employers to check their status will come into force in November 2010.
  • Registration will also include employers being continuously informed of an employee’s suitability to work.

I think the final bit is particularly important - that employers will receive information should information come to light that casts doubt upon a person's suitability to work with children.

Thanks for the link Jacquie - full of useful information!

Maz

very gloopy i would say

my understanding is that from??what date that if we employ someone who is not registered we are causing an offence

is that right?

Looks like a call to my development officer is called for on Monday! At our recent forum meeting they definitely told us it was starting this October :)

That was what we were told, too. October for new employees but with a responsibility to check the website for everyone from then onwards, too.