Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Workers-their Role In Settings

I have the agenda for our foundation stage staff meeting tomorrow. An item has been add by a staff member that she would like a discussion about what we (as a staff) think the role of the keyworker should be. I would be interested in other members views on this.I'm sure the role varies between sets so it would be helpful to know how others see the role.

Thats my main feeling as well Linda. Not sure why this staff member has added this item and its my day off so can't ask and the meeting is at 8am.

I feel my most important role as a keyperson is to build a special relationship with a small group of key children, helping them to feel secure and happy, then helping them to be independent from that secure base whilst remaining someone a child can depend on to meet their needs. My role is also to observe these children to build a picture of their likes, dislikes, interests, needs, developmental levels so that I can share my perceptions and understanding of each childs with parents, and staff. Often it is this understanding that helps me to interpret their actions for others and offer explanations as to why they might be behaving in a certain way - in other words I tune in to my keychildren.

I would agree with the broad description used above. Do you think the member of staff in question is trying to determine the specific role and duties, perhaps because she is confused as to what she ought to do and not do, or because she is trying to highlight that some others don't do everything they should? I'm sure someone else will be along who has a document which details the role to help you - it is a work in progress for me at the moment!

because she is trying to highlight that some others don't do everything they should?

I feel this is the case but unfortunately other members of staff will feel aggrieved as they consider this person doesn't do their fair share on other nursery issues. xD I'm going to wear dark clothing in case blood is spilt :o

we had a keyworker policy which stated what the role involved... i did put it in the resource library but it seems to no longer be there since the reorganisation of it.. or am I just not finding it?

this previous thread may help

Inge

I was surprised when I went on training the other day and the issue of keyperson was raised that not all settings felt that it should be the keyperson who is responsible for intimate care such as feeding and toileting - or perhaps some people thought it should be but that it wasn't practical. I'd be interested to hear what others are doing around this area

Where at all possible in our setting the keyperson deals with intimate care. However that said all our staff work as a team and sometimes the child does not take to the keyperson on an individual basis as much as they like another member of staff. So we usually respect the indications given by the child and a member of the staff who they are happy with takes care of those matters. If it were the case that a child had very specific needs we would ensure that the keyperson and at least one other knew how to fulfill those needs and that the child was happy with both of them. We don't as a rule change the keyperson according to the likes/dislikes of the child as these can change anyway but our method of working means that no child is forced into working with an adult they might clearly show a dislike to. Obviously we work to overcome dislikes but sometimes it is just something we have to accept.

We work much the same as you Holly, also with us there are 3 members of staff that only work 3 days, so for 2 days some children may not have their keyperson in. I have also found that sometimes it is the parent who may 'gel' with a certain staff member, for whatever reason, so we try not to be too 'exclusive' over our keyworking children.

we feel that a key person is a of vital importance and has a tremendous role to play in all aspects of care of those children allocated to that person, where possible she is responsible for toileting, changing, observing , planning and making contact with parents.

if a child formed a stronger bond with another member of staff we would move the child to that key person

we also operate a buddy system, so if a member of staff is away sanother person will be a constistant key person for the child

This is doubtless too late for your meeting, which I hope went OK, but I'll add all the same.

I understand that 'keyperson' is the term used in EYFS, rather than key worker, so it emphasises the importance of the relationship between key person, child and family. Key worker just has a less personal message.

In Reggio, the key people are allocated when a child starts at the infant/toddler centres and they remain with this same key person throughout their time at the centre. Also any younger children joining the centre then join the same key person as she already has the relationship with the family.

It makes such sense to me and I would love to implement this pattern where I am. Unfortunately I can't see how we can achieve this in a large setting where children move from room to room as they get older. Does anyone operate this system? If so, I'd love to hear how you organise it.

Hopefully

Gruffalo2 :o