Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Area, Please Help!

Hi,

I'm a bit new to all this so don't know if i'm in the right place but would love some advice.

I have an interview for my first teaching post on friday, i'm very, very nervous. I've been asked to do a 25 minute session in the outdoor area. They have just about everything you could wish for and i can teach any area of learning. I was thinking of doing something around the Gruffalo or minibeasts but would love some advice becuase i really want to impress!

Thanks for any suggestions xxx :o

If minibeasts...

1.)create a minibeasts sheet and they draw the ones they find, provide magnifying glasses, shovels etc for looking

2.)make a minibeast home/environment from junk modelling stuff

3.) Print of a variety of minibeasts with the initial sound highlighted, have buckets with the initial sound on and children have to put in correct bucket (i'd limit it to 6 buckets)

The Gruffalo is a bit more tricky...

1.) you could try making the animals home using a varitey of large construction

2.) you could do a role play activity pretending to be the gruffalo

Hope this helps...

:o

I had a fascinating time with the children at our setting when I brought in some snails. I had been intending to make a bug box with them, but in the end what they really wanted to do was to study the snails. I had some pictures of different snails, and they matched them to these. Then they basically experimented - a snail on a stick, turn it upside, it sticks! Which snail is going the fastest, etc. I found the snails under a rock in my garden and took them in in a box with lettuce, rocks, bits of wood, etc. so they weren't stressed.

if they have lots of found materials e.g. crates, planks, tubes, tyres etc could you get htem to build their own obstacle course? get some problem solving and team building in to boot.

You could set them a challenge to get something/or themselves from A-B without touching the ground or only using certain equipment?

Ah yes, tyres... Have made big inroads on crates, guttering and tubes this year, now need good ideas for where to get cheap (free?) tyres from.

My husband says any Kwik Fit or other tyre place. They have to pay to get rid of them so you should be able to take your pick. Check them to make sure they are not worn down to the metal chords.

My husband says any Kwik Fit or other tyre place. They have to pay to get rid of them so you should be able to take your pick. Check them to make sure they are not worn down to the metal chords.

Thanks, that's great. And how do I go about cleaning them to ready them for children rolling them around? Just washing up liquid and warm water? Anything more I need to know as to tyre play good practice? :o

Getting tyres can be tricky as a company like Kwik fit have to legally prove they are disposing of tyres correctly.

Our local tyre place was so glad to pass them onto us that they delivered them free! Make it clear what size you want though - I've just read another post saying someone got given JCB tyres!! (apologies to whoever it was, my memory is so bad - ever since I met that mouse)

Gruffalo2 :o

Thanks, that's great. And how do I go about cleaning them to ready them for children rolling them around? Just washing up liquid and warm water? Anything more I need to know as to tyre play good practice? :o

The ones my husband got for me were not particularly dirty so I just hosed them off and ran my hands over them to check for oil. I am trying to work out a way to get rainwater out of them without getting soaked myself. I have considered getting Hubby to cut a few holes but that would expose the ends of the metal cords so not ideal. If you try to drill them the holes just close up again. If anyone has a solution it would be gratefully received!

Hubby works for the automotive industry and is pretty convinced they can get around the proving how they disposed of the tyres thing fairly easily. He has sourced them for school as well. You might be better approaching a small independent workshop than a large chain so they don't have too many hoops to jump through.

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)