Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation/key Stage 1 Cip And Themed Teaching

Hi my first post, am helping someone can help. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone I have been just browsing for some time since I jkoined

we are a small school our infant dpt has a r/1 and a 1/2 class. We are thinking of extending child initiated play into the 1/2 class as at the moment the yr 1 children only get CIP if in the lower vclass.

we are planning to do this by having half termly themes for hist/geog/sci/dt/art in the afternoons, having three afternoons a week themed with an hours "lesson" followed by an hour of CIP tpo allow children to explore their own ideas.

If there is anyone out there who is doing anything remoetly like this, I would be very grateful for any adivce, we are hoping to start this for sept 2005, so will be planning over the spring ans summer terms

many thanks for any help you can give either on themese, cross phase, CIP in yr 1 and 2 or anything else related

Hi littlerabbitfoofoo,

Welcome to the forum - I too find it a vital resource now!

I once worked in a year 2 class where the teacher had one session devoted to 'plan do and review' children wrote down what they were going to do e.g. build a rocket out of junk modelling and then built it and talked about it to the rest of the class - lovely idea!

Its lovely to hear that CIP is going up the school rather than the pressure of SATs pushing play down, History can come alive with role play (I once saw a role play area based on the book 'Peepo' - a 1930's house!)

Good luck

thanks lady bug - i too feel this can only be beneficial to the children, am having a tough time trying to convince others though too much work, etc

I will keep plugging away, the role play area based on peepo sounds wonderful

Hi littlerabbitfoofoo -

just wanted to say hello and welcome in :) I've noticed you online a few times so it's good to hear from you at last!

Having done so, however, I can't help you with your query. I'm sure others can, however!

Hi Littlerabbitfoofoo,

Sorry I can't help you with your query but I work in a playgroup - just wanted to say welcome. I'm sure there are people out there who will have an opinion but you've come along at a busy time of year so you might find it takes a while for others to reply. :) Hope to cross paths around the forum again soon!! :D

hi & welcome Littlerabbitfoofoo :D

I'm not quite sure I can help you with your quiry except to say well done you! I am sure all the children will benefit especially your yr1s. BUT wht wait until September? It could be easier to start sooner and "play" pratically rather than thoeretically as you plan. I would imagine it could also be easier as it is not such a big step backwards for the teachers and more children will benefit if you can go for it now! :D

Featherstone Publications have some mixed year group teaching resources.

Good Luck and have fun! :D

beklieve me, I would love for this to be happening already but the head has given us teachers 3 afternoons off next term to plan it, and the other teachers are not so confident with the sytle of an EY classroom and want time to plan and also come to observe me - at least we know from september that it will have been thought out very thoroughly! thanks for all your ideas everyone, keep them coming, and merry christmas!

• 4 months later...

Little Rabbit FooFoo,

How did your planning for R/Y1 and Y1/2 for child intiated provision go? We will be having the same arrangement of classes in September and the idea of the Y1s int he 1/2 class having similar provision to the R/1 sounds great.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)