Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pay Rise

Guest babyjane31

We reveiwed our policy on staff pay rises last year and introduced salary scales and performance related pay. the pay scales are reviewed in october and increased in line with mininum wage so that the difference between scales remains the same, we then have a scale for non qualified, level 2, level 3 and level 4 and then set each member of staff at a level within that scale. the staff then get just a scale rise for a satisfactory annual appraisal a 1 point rise for a good and a 2 point rise for outstanding. we use an appraisal format that gives an overall score that then dictactes there overall outcome ( i think i borrowed and adapted one form on here.) It works well for us and gives staff something to work towards. I have to say point rises are small maybe only 15p an hour but it all adds up and staff do feel they are rewarded for extra effort or training etc.

Babyjane1 do you work in a playgroup or in a nursery?

- 'pay scales?' who would decide who got what?

Clareec I think you and I are hitting on exactly the same problems I don't think our committee are involved enough to even begin to decide who would get what if we had pay scales!

Guest babyjane31

Thumerrabbit I work in a sessional pre-school. the pay scales starting point were taken from the average pay rates in our area and then percentage increases for each scale point. each member of staff were placed onto the scale in accordance with their existing salary which were already in line with average in area and then they move up the scale depending on appraisal results.

• 1 month later...

Hi there - Just out of interest we are a sessional preschool - what sort of pay are managers and deputys getting? I often wondered if there was a national payscale determining how much we should get paid. I seem to do a lot of work for not a lot of money - but judging by some of the comments I have read many others are in the same position! :o

Hi there - Just out of interest we are a sessional preschool - what sort of pay are managers and deputys getting? I often wondered if there was a national payscale determining how much we should get paid. I seem to do a lot of work for not a lot of money - but judging by some of the comments I have read many others are in the same position! :o

Theres no national payscale and there seems to be huge variations between areas of the country/different sectors. I am afraid it is up to you to negotiate your own pay if you feel it is not enough. xD The only criteria is that it needs to be at least minimum wage.