Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Curriculum Responsibilities In School

Just wondering if other EYFS staff in schools have curriculum areas for other key stages? Also should there be a named manager of EYFS with extra responsibilities eg TLR's

Edited by Guest

Hi unicid, I am in preschool, but I do have a little bit of working knowledge of our school as I was a Governor for 4 years.

Yes, foundation stage teachers had curriculum responsibilities, one was ICT.

As for TLR's when they were first talked about, we were going to use them for Literacy, Numeracy, ICT and Science, we had a Deputy Head in charge of KS2 and a Deputy Head in KS1 and Early Years. Then the structure changed and we went down to just one Deputy Head and therefore needed someone as line manager at the KS1 & EY classes as most were inexperienced teachers. So yes a TLR was created down there and Science took a back burner.

Don't know if that is any help?

Forgot to say it wasn't a requirement to have a TLR in EY.

Edited by Shiny

Just wondering if other EYFS staff in schools have curriculum areas for other key stages? Also should there be a named manager of EYFS with extra responsibilities eg TLR's

No should about it. It depends on the agreed school structure.

And yes, EYFS staff do usually have other curriculum responsibilities. I always have!

We don't have a TLR for Early Years - I wish!!!!

The responsibilities are split between all the teacher's in the school. I have maths and music, my year R colleague has ICT, other members of staff have the other subjects. The deputy and TLR teacher have slightly more than anyone else but otherwise it is pretty evenly split.

Yes me too Susan, and more than one curriculum area but I did have a SLT position as well. I think most teachers have a curriculum area especially in small schools, where more than one seems to be the norm. The TLR structure is down to the Governing Body of a school and their priorities. I think whether a TLR would be available would be also depend on how the school itself is structured regarding the responsibilities of the staff. That would also depend on the size of the school probably. Certainly there are many Foundation Stage Co-ordinator posts advertised with a TLR attached. Perhaps you could have a look at job descriptions of those posts advertised to give you some idea of what is required.

I'm Literacy Coordinator, SENCO, INCO, Child Protection Designated Teacher, Multi Agency Liaison, Extended Schools, SEAL and joint responsibility for ICT ...

Marion I am exhausted just reading your reply post-1195-1245002732.gif

There are alot of Early Years Co-Ord's out there advertised with TLR, but in my experience, good Early Years teachers are few and far between, so offer TLR as incentive to fill the post should it become vacant.

I know alot of EY's with no TLR, but not looking to move either ... perhaps this would change if they were????

I consider myself very lucky after reading the replies as I just run the 39 place unit. We are a 3 form entry school the foundation stage co-ordinator is a TLR but has no other responsibility. Don't know when I would co-ordinate another subject as being responsible for 78 children and doing all their

records and all the administration for nursery takes up all my time.Only way I keep just about on top of things is working 0.8 so do alot on my day off.

Anne

I am Foundation Stage Leader, ICT Coordinator and PE Coordinator. When I took up being FS leader in September it came with a TLR and a place on the senior management team and all the joys that come along with it!

I think after your NQT year you are required to have some type of subject responsibility aren't you? Isn't that in TP+C? TLRs is a different matter and comes in the long history of extra money for bigger leadership responsibilities that started with A and B posts! Anyone out there remember them??? A posts were for a year long project and B posts were for middle management, though in those days it mostly consisted of ordering stuff out of catalogues!!

Cx

I had a B allowance all those years ago and had very much more to do than order stuff out of catalogues. That was about the easiest thing I did, especially as most of it was wishful thinking. :o There wasn't much money around for the Nursery and Infant Department, as they were called before they became Foundation Stage and Key Stage One. I do remember a lovely EY's Advisor coming in, and he asked me what I would wish for. At that time I wanted a woodwork bench and tools for it. They were so expensive. A couple of weeks later they were delivered and it felt like Christmas. Next time he came he sent me some Maths equipment. I was lucky to work in a very good authority for Early Years and we had lots of excellent training from people like Mary Jane Drummond and Margery Whalley. We had an active BAECE branch as well. I think we were well ahead of our time in many ways, or some of us were, and a lot of what was introduced in Desirable Outcomes and now in EYFS was already in place in the best schools.

In those days we had to write our own curriculum, which was a mammoth task, especially trying to ensure continuity all the way through the school. Still we didn't have all this endless paperwork to justify everything and we had more time for the children, and I'm not really sure that the children were any worse off, as we knew them so well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)