Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pony Riding/ Funday Ideas And Considerations..

We are arranging a funday as our big summer fundraiser.. One of our new parents has offered her pony for pony rides which would be great! But does anyone know the rules ref health and safety? Someone also questioned plate smashing and even facepainting.

We have looked into this for our PTA.

Although the NCPTA insurance covered us to offer pony rides we decided that it was too high a risk. We would still have a responsibility to ensure all safety precautions were in place.

Ponies are not predictable and no matter how well they behave normally you can't be sure of what would happen in a fete atmosphere. Added to that is the issue if fitting hats (and maybe body protectors) and footwear without a heel is not safe without the correct type of safety stirrup.

It is an awful shame and I feel like a real wet blanket. I love horses and both my children ride loads but only with correctly fitted safety gear on ponies I know well in familiar environments.

You need to discuss this with your insurers and think very carefully about how you would keep the children safe.

I think it would be a lot easier to keep plate smashing safe.

When I have tried to take my niece pony riding, she wasn't allowed to do so before she was 4 (insurance reasons). AlisonP is right - they do need hats which are the right size and body protectors are a very good idea - even I don't ride without one. Ponies - no matter how placide and 'good' they are - can be unpredictable, it only takes an unexpected 'bang' from anywhere to set them off.

Plate smashing sounds very good though!

How about a 'stroke the pony' thing instead? If it's a friendly cute one I'm sure the children would love to just see it without necessarily having to ride on it.

This could turn into an animal corner, with things like rabbits and guinea pigs too if you are brave enough!

MrsWeasley could bring her gerbils! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)