Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Around The World

hi everyone

was thinking about looking at how christmas is celebrated in different countries around the world with my reception class, has anyone done this before or got any ideas on how i could do this. i was going to start with how the children celebrate christmas at home then compare that to other children around the world but am struggling for ides or resources.

Thanks AEK :D

Christymas in Zambia falls in the middle of the rainy season, so its the time when communications are often at their worst. Traditionally we spend time with our families and send food boxes to relatives further afield, especailly those whose harvest were poor this year.

In Silozi, the local language, we say

'Kilismasi, mukiti wa kupepwa kwa Jesu'

literally means

'you celebrate the birth of Jesus'

In Germany on the morning of the 6th December (St nicholas day) the children awake to find their shoes filled with chocolate or sweets if they have been good all year and sticks if they have not. (In some areas of germany it is coal not sticks there are regional variations)- I miss not doing it for my son since he left home, he always ended up with sticks for some reason!!

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)