Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transfer Information

I'm really struggling to get started on these this year. I feel exhausted every night and just want to go to bed.

Anyway, I have one bit I'm thinking about under PSRN for a child due to transfer for preschool, he uses lots of numbers in his play but can't yet count in sequence, he can name shapes and recognises groups of objects - eg. he drew 4 wheels on his car, can always see 2 without counting. I've done so much counting over the last few months in the hope that he would pick it up, if I try to do a 1:1 counting activity he says "I don't want to, you count". Just wondering how I can write that up positively as I do think he's quite capable - just not a confident counter

Please get me started :o

Look for some other element of PRSN that he enjoys - is he great with shapes, or sorting and matching dinosaurs or something, does he like measuring? Any school teacher worth her salt will know what you are saying by 'not saying' if you know what I mean. If she comes into Nursery to meet with him, have a word with her then - but you never know, it could suddenly 'click' over the holidays!

Have you tried the old ploy of 'you can eat the chocolate buttons if you can count out 5 for yourself'?

thanks cait - Yes you're right children will develop so much between now and sept.

so you would just write all the positive things and leave out counting skills, would you? or do you put something like 'next steps- to build confidence in counting in sequence

i've tried all sorts - singing number rhymes each day, counting steps everyday, he says 1,2 but then a variety of numbers

will try chocolate buttons for a treat :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)