Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Are Your Views On High/scope?

I was just wondering what your views are on High Scope? Have any of you used it? Do you think it was effective? And how did you get the child you planned for towards your 'special' activity?

Also, is High Scope basically Continuous Provision?

I work in a day nursery at the moment (On monday a CC and the Day Nursery!) and I observe my key children and then 'plan' activities for them. However, the children have to want to go to the activity as they are choosing. At the moment I am trying to get a particular child into the Messy Area to mix paints and see what happens - however, he hates the messy room. Do you think I should take it to the little people area/construction area, where he plays the most? Or are there any other ways I can show mixing colours that maybe are not too messy?

I did my High/Scope training over 10 years ago and everyone in my school has undertaken the High/Scope Implementation course. the training is over a 9 month period and is very thorough and really challenges your thinking. When the EYFS came into place we were not at all phased as we felt that High/Scope principles fitted well within the EYFS.

I do think there are a lot of myths around about High/Scope so i would advice you to look at both the High/Scope.org webstie and the High/Scope UK website.

My trainer was Pam Lafferty and I know she is still delivering training over the UK. There are also High/Scope accredited schools and settings listed on the High/Scope.UK website and any of these are well worth a visit.

I also think that Doncaster LA have invested in High/Scope so you may get more info there.

dont know much about high scope but to bring in paint mixing to this little boy i think you could take the paints to the area he plays and use the figures to mix the paints by dipping the feet in the paints - he could then do this - would this be a help?

i know someone once said to me to use a childs interests to introduce other areas of the preschool/room - so i spent time using paints and cars (his passion) pushing them through the paints looking at patterns made by the tyres and mixing the colours by moving cars around amongst other things - i think for some children that is the only way to go - hope that might be a help x

Edited by blondie

I agree with Emilia, especially about the myths around High/Scope and looking at their websites. The course was the most enjoyable I have ever done, because you learn to see things from the child's perspective i.e. bottom up not top down, which I still fear EYFS will prove to be. The course also gave me loads of ideas for doing workshops with parents, which we have just started and have been well received by the few who come!

I'm in a Preschool, and one of our feeder schools had just been awarded their QA status. There is so much in common between us that transition for our children should be no problem at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)