Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Tickets For Communication Friendly Spaces

Helen

Hi HappyMaz yes one of my collegues from work is using it :o I have a heavy day planned tomorrow and could not really change plans.

No sadly Im not going to the EYP conference either my work loads is rubbish at the moment but I'll escape one day lol

I love the bags for families and they will have such an impact im sure . . .

I will be thinking of you all x

Dunno, I must have missed it too!

Had to tell you about my conversation at the dinner table this evening.

My 12 year old daughter has pointed out that I have spent the last few months on an internet forum talking to people who I think I have something in common with.

I have been invited to meet some of these people and I am going to a pre-arranged meeting point to be picked up by strangers and taken somewhere else. I will not be taking an adult with me. nor have I discussed this with my parents.

And we don't even know each other's real names!!

Talk about do as I say and not as I do!

Edited by AlisonP

Talk about do as I say and not as I do!

Exactly what my 12 year old told me when I told him his sister and I were going to drive to a nearby town, pick up someone we had never met, and then take her in my car to Oxfordshire to meet two other people who had never met (well at least until the training course they were both booked on) and then we were going to have dinner together. Oh, and then drive back in the dark when it was all over.

Sometimes I think he just doesn't understand!

Maz

Sure I dont need to tell you about 'bags for families' now youve been to Birmingham???

Let me know how the day went and make me very jealous!

I had a very good day today though so Im not to disappointed.

Guest Wolfie
Exactly what my 12 year old told me when I told him his sister and I were going to drive to a nearby town, pick up someone we had never met, and then take her in my car to Oxfordshire to meet two other people who had never met (well at least until the training course they were both booked on) and then we were going to have dinner together. Oh, and then drive back in the dark when it was all over.

Sometimes I think he just doesn't understand!

Maz

Seems perfectly reasonable to me! :o

Sure I dont need to tell you about 'bags for families' now youve been to Birmingham???

Let me know how the day went and make me very jealous!

I had a very good day today though so Im not to disappointed.

So what happened today that made it good?

I see what you mean about the bags for families now. They are very inspiring and Elizabeth Jarman launched her new 'bags for practitioners' today which look great for people who do home visits.

I have come away feeling inspired to make changes in my childminding setting and also to suggest them in the nursery. We saw some examples of fantastic practice, particularly construction play with real cutting blades, hand drills and nuts and bolts to build things from banana boxes. We also saw ways to create communication friendly spaces for children from bits of tarpaulin, fabric. cushions, etc without spending a fortune. (We also saw projects that cost the earth)

I really enjoyed meeting the other forum members who, strangely enough, looked nothing like their avatars.

It was a beautiful setting and the day had a very different format - hopefully Happymaz will upload some pictures soon.

The day was filmed too so hopefully we will be able to see it on the Elizabeth Jarman website in the near future.

I'm sure the others will have lots to add later.

It was a good day.

As AlisonP said we saw some really inspriational projects that cost next to nothing to supply.

Hopefully Happymaz will upload some photo's soon ........although I know she's stopped of at Ikea to help put some of the ideas in practice already.

It was strange meeting members, but good. We should all try and have a 'mass meeting'

Hopefully Happymaz will upload some photo's soon ........although I know she's stopped of at Ikea to help put some of the ideas in practice already.

Goodness me! She is keen.

I will be visiting Ikea soon but have to let hubby get used to the idea first.

It was nice to meet you louby loo. Did you have lots to think about on the drive back?

Goodness me! She is keen.

I will be visiting Ikea soon but have to let hubby get used to the idea first.

It was nice to meet you louby loo. Did you have lots to think about on the drive back?

It was good meeting up.

Lot's to think about on way home!

I just sat here and tried to write an explaination of some-thing we saw, but it was totally confusing even to me and I was there. So best wait for pictures.

xxx

Well. What a day!

Great to increase my score in the Great 2009 FSF Member Bingo: I added five new members to my tally today - great to meet you all ladies. It might havbe been good to have had more time at the end of the day to stay together and discuss what we'd seen, but I think it might take me some time to get my thoughts together!

I got in about half an hour or so ago and I'm completely shattered - but Ikea looks very different when youi're looking with Communication Friendly Spaces in mind!

Thank you all for a great day - and thank you Helen for making such a great contact in the first place. Definintely a good person to know!

Maz

May I echo that thankyou, Helen.

I don't get opportunities like that very often. I learned a lot.

Gosh, Maz, I was shattered when I got in a 6.00. How did you manage to keep going for that long?

What did you buy?

Any cat beds?

I have to get one of those fantastic green curtainy, canopy things we saw in the reading garden? (I tried to include a link to the Ikea site but it isn't on there.)

I am going to scour my local market for soft rugs, small camouflage net, tarpaulin and big pieces of fabric today.

I've uploaded my photos after a bit of a struggle (I don't do 'technical'). You can find them by going to the gallery, and they're in members galleries. I think I have been very creative indeed with the album name. Communication Friendly Spaces...

If you want to follow my journey around the conference, you can sort how the images are displayed at the bottom of the screen: choose 'captions', 'ascending' and 'from the beginning'. I didn't realise that when you upload pictures the first one you upload is the last to be displayed...

If you display them from a to t, you'll see I've grouped photos together to show how a particular space was set up or made, or to keep a set of images together (such as the indoor spaces from Newham).

I've really enjoyed putting them al together and picking out the main ideas for the descriptions. I may even be moved to print them out now and put them in a little photo album!

Sorry there isn't a photo of me, melthammum and AlisonP together as planned. David Bailey was a little technically challenged and louby lou was otherwise engaged!

Maz

Thank-you Happymaz for doing all the photos and sharing with other forum members that couldn't attend

Thank-you Helen for have the connections and making the day possible is the first place.

Thank-you FSF members that were able to attend and meet up- therefore making the day even more memorable.

xxxxx

Thank-you FSF members that were able to attend and meet up- therefore making the day even more memorable.

Sorry - who are you? xD

We did have a great day didn't we? Helen - are you going to do a little write up? :o

Maz

It was lovely to meet some of you and I can't believe I didn't take a camera! Thank you to Maz who did and now my ramblings at pre-school will make sense when I point the staff this way!

It was very interesting and I have to admit that I walked into our setting yesterday with very fresh eyes. I had thought we were relatively neutral and communication fairly friendly but actually we aren't!

I have to now go and shop and figure out how to hang a mosquito net from a ceiling I can't reach.

Hi All,

Well, I was a complete waste of space on Thursday....completely exhausted :o Really can't cope with 5.30 am starts! It was so nice to meet you, and I enjoyed the unusual set-up of the conference facilities. Also very interesting talking to people who I don't usually meet, eg speech and language therapists and architects.

Thanks for your comments, but really the reason that the FSF is sufficiently well recognised to receive offers of this kind is completely due to its members and the success you have made of the forum. So I thank you! xD

I'd like to do a write up of some kind, and I thought if I cobbled together the beginnings of an article over the next couple of weeks, and PM'd it to our select little group (!) maybe you could had bits to it, and it would be a joint publication. What do you think?

Maz, the photos are great....thanks so much for doing that :(

I'd like to do a write up of some kind, and I thought if I cobbled together the beginnings of an article over the next couple of weeks, and PM'd it to our select little group (!) maybe you could had bits to it, and it would be a joint publication. What do you think?

Best give me a wordcount then! :o

No problem, I'll try to think of something useful.

Had a lovely time browsing through the photos, thanks happymaz from me too!

The result has been a quick rescue of some nets and curtains from going to a charity shop and am now eyeing up our redundant 'too soogy to bounce on' trampoline net! Also, whilst airing clothes indoors thought about the airer itself to use as a support for something??

hmm :o

I've just had an email from Antonia saying that their photos are on the website. We seem to have been snapped a few times. There is a lovely picture of melthalmmum looking very studious.

This is the link if you would like to have a look

http://www.elizabethjarmanltd.co.uk/video/...e_slideshow.php

I had to download the video before it would play.

• 1 month later...

I've just had an email from Antonia to say that some videos have been uploaded to the site:-

Here's the link to three videos: one about the Bags for Families project in Liverpool, the Home Context Exhibition (done with the Welsh NCMA) and the presentation about Norfolk.

I couldn't get the Norfolk one to load but then I think my internet is a bit lumpy today!

Maz