Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another Transition Question

OK a distinct lack of work all half term has left me stressed on a Sunday night again! Quick question - if my transition policy (and all other policies for that matter) state that I work with teachers and other professionals, I have verbally mentioned my intention to invite teachers in to visit this half term and I will let parents know when the child's teacher is coming in before the day, do I need to get written permission from the parents to write the invites to the teachers? (OK not a quick question, but hopefully a quick answer!) Also the child is named in the letter because I have had experience of the teacher popping in before now and not knowing exactly who they are visiting.

I might be back with more panic questions before the night is out, or I might just go to bed and hang the consequences! Thanks.

As a Reception teacher I get invited into the pre-school that rents a room in our school as most of our intake comes from there, but not all of the children there are coming up, as some of them have only just started pre-school. I go into do a story time once a week , but I don't think the setting gets permission. I'll find out when we go back this week!

I have done this when I was in a pre-school, as opposed to a day nursery, where I am now. I didn't get permission to write letters inviting teachers, but I didn't mention specific children, it was more to build general links. Obviously I got permission when I took children to visit their next setting!

In the day nursery we have to get permission for just about everything, but whenever a teacher has visited us, we haven't (wondering why not, now... maybe because, again, no specific children are mentioned). Don't really know what the 'official' position is - that was a fat lot of help, wasn't it!! :o

Sue

I ask parents to tell me the contact info for the school their children will be moving to so that I can invite the new teacher in to meet them. That kind of covers the permission aspect too.

I tell parents when the teachers are coming - unless I get no warning - in which case I text the parent in case they want to pop in too to chat

As a reception teacher I have built such good links with the 3 nursery and pre-school settings in the village, I can (in reason) just turn up when on my PPA time and chat about different issues and different children. There has been a few children who they haven't given me much information on and have said- "you'll need to speak to their parents". Generally the parents are more than happy for me to have spoken to the pre-school leaders. It is in their policies (and mine!!) that we have those discussions. I don't believe that they ask for permission to speak to me about their child or for me to visit. They do have to have permission before they pass on any written records to me (which has been a nightmare previously!).

We're the same with regards to paperwork - the FSPs for example. The settings have to give the FSP to the parents who can then give it to me, then we have to copy them and give them back to the parents: it makes the whole process much more complicated.

Thanks for the replies. I am doubting everything I do at the moment as we are being auditted by LA and they seem to have a script which no one can deviate from no matter how strong the argument. Decided to give up catching up last night and went to bed so I'll be working all week instead. At least I enjoyed the sun over the weekend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)