Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Volunteers

Hi all, does anyone know whether volunteers (gaining work exp, but not a student) can just come along and join in or does my setting have to complete any paperwork etc?

ppp

A CRB check if its a long term thing, these are free unless it has changed recently. :o

Edited by samfrostie

It's just for a month of so. My setting is in one room so volunteer will never be out of sight and I will let them know that they are not allowed in the toilets whilst a child is in there so guessing no need for CRB check. I was just going to treat them as a parent helper.

A copy of some policies:-

• Inclusion/equal opps
  • Behaviour management
  • Student/volunteer
  • Health and safety
  • Safeguarding children

This will help them understand how you do things in your setting, and also their own responsibilities to implement these policies alongside the permanent staff. I would also ask them to sign a personal conduct and confidentiality so that you have their agreeement in writing to conform to your group's expectations for things such as dress code, use of mobile phones etc.

Sorry - that might seem a bit over the top, but at least you'll be covered in any eventuality if something goes wrong! :o

Maz

CRB checks are still free for volunteers, and so will be registering with the ISA, which comes into force from Oct 12th. (I should also mention that the ISA register is being phased in over 5 years for existing staff and volunteers. OH has just done his training on this.)

We do ask volunteers to provide some background information and complete a registration form when starting with us. Partly it is to ensure we have basic information if anything should happen to them while in the building. The background info we ask for depends on their circumstances, so might be a CV if they are hoping to get a place on a course in the future, or an introductory letter and a reference, but as I say it depends on their circumstances.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)