Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crbs - Who For, When And How Often

hiya,

Do you apply for CRBs for new staff as soon as they start work? Do you then reapply after 3 years (or some other time frame?).

what about your manager/supervisor? I was deemed suitable by Ofsted and filled in a DC2 in early 2006. I assume they got CRB clearance for me but I never recevied a copy of the disclosure. I tried to apply for one myself recently via NESTOR and they said they sent the application back to me (including copies of ID) as it was not to do with them but with Ofsted. It hasn't arrived so my identity is out there somewhere for anyone to steal :o and surely Ofsted don't do CRB checks anymore? I have been continuously working there for 2.5 years but my CRB dates from a previous job.

And I know it's all changing in October so what would you guys suggest? all other staff now have CRBs requested by our setting and within 3 years old.

thanks,

A

Hi Anju

I would apply for a CRB again. I use TMG (I think thats the right one I can't remember the correct letters) and they are very helpful and very quick. if you send in paperwork and its wrong they send you back the forms with a very good form telling what is wrong and if you still can't understand what they want the girls on the phone were very nice explaining it. Ofsted don't do any checks at all now except I think the registered person.

If i'm wrong I'm sure some one on here will tell you the correct answer, but I would still get a CRB check done as Ofsted will pick you up on it, if they come in. You should be able to check with Ofsted if they have got your CRB disclosure. Although I would get one done before you check then at least you can say you have a new one to hand.

Good luck

With regard to rechecking it is not Ofsted or TMG (or any other agancy) policy to have rechecks done as a matter of course. If a member of staff is absent from the setting for a period the employer may wish to recheck but should not expect for the cost to be covered by Ofsted. Some LAs try to insist on rechecks but that would be at the discretion of the setting, especially if the setting would have to cover the costs.

I was deemed suitable by Ofsted and filled in a DC2 in early 2006. I assume they got CRB clearance for me but I never recevied a copy of the disclosure.

thanks,

A

If you never recieved a CRB are you covered? I dont think you can assume Ofsted will have checked you. Did you fill in the CRB form aswell as the DC2? As some people have a recheck every 3 years (although this isnt in anything I've ever read) you could just have a new one now anyway. At present I've got 4 CRBs all current and all for different organisations.

I really think you should check.

If you are the manager/supervisor and the registered person (e.g. committee) Then Ofsted need to do your checks. You will know if they did a CRB on you as you would have filled out the crb form. They will not do rechecks after 3 years unless you change settings. Your crb is non transferrable and is only viable for the setting you are working at.

Given Ofsted track record with paperwork, I would never trust them unless I had something in writing from them. If you are not crb checked then, you should not be allowed unsupervised access to the children and if you’re employer is allowing this they could find themselves in big trouble.

If you are a member of staff then you apply via the agency you are registered with. If you are manager this is why the agency have sent the stuff back to you.

Although things are changing I would not leave it as I'm ssure I read these changes had been put back to spometime in 2010?

If you mean with regard to the Vetting & Barring scheme, I believe it starts in 2010 for new entrants to the workforce & those moving jobs. Year 2 is for those who've never had a CRB check before, Year 3 is for those whose CRB is over three year old, Year 4 for those with more recent CRB checks, Year 5 anyone else. [Or so I heard at a recent meeting] I believe we have a responsibility to see if ayone is barred by checking online from October 2009 - for new staff, anyway. Hope that makes sense and you can check for updates on www.isa-gov.org apparently. [suprprised it doesn't have an 'uk' after it??]

The Criminal Records Bureau told me that your CRB check is only valid on the day that the CRB check your records (you could commit a crime the day after and your employer would not know until a new check was done) therefore you should have a new one at every new place you work.

But they did tell me this a few years ago and I'm sure it has all changed now!

I sent Ofsted my latest enhanced disclosure when completing my DC2 and they apparantly posted it back to me recorded delivery but I never received it! So when I enquired about it Ofsted said on their system I am down as 'checked' so not to worry.

ppp