Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peggy's Long Term Planning

Hi, I have a question for Peggy (and anyone else who may be doing this). I was trawling through here and stumbled upon your long term planning and delivering the aspects through stories, the post was quite old (2006) I think and I just wondered do you still do it this way, was it successful - do you have a long term plan you could show me? I wonder if this is a way we should go as we find our children have such deprivation in stories.

thanks

Jo

I'm not Peggy but i have found it very successful planning though stories. You can choose a story that will take you on a particular theme or you can let the children take it where they want to and all very relevant to planing from children's interests.

Guest LornaW

I went to an inspirational conference in Sevenoaks on Saturday and the keynote speaker was Alice Sharpe who has this website http://www.wonderbox.co.uk/ and one of the key messages I came away with were the curiosity kits and provocations.

Worth a look everyone and she totally inspired me to get Aliens Love Underpants!!!

Anyone else in Kent go to this conference?

Here's my response to Jo's PM.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your query. I actually sold my preschool in 2007 and I'm now a full time foster carer for 4 children (sibling group).

I do remember that planning from stories was very successful, and does still have a place in the new EYFS, but I think you would need to be careful that children are enabled to take from the story what they want rather than be too adult led prescriptive with your planning. There is a new article in the 'articles' section of the forum, all about story books which I think you will find really useful. You can find it HERE, Excellent as usual by Juliet Mickleburgh.

I'm not sure if I still have my old LT Plans on my computer but you could consider stories which fit in with cultural celebrations, ones which are relevant to your current childrens experiences, ie: I remember Kippers Birthday was within our plans when we had quite a few of our children celebrating all at the same time, within a few weeks of each other.

I will have a look at what I've got and get back to you. Remind me if I leave it too long.

Peggy

Thanks LornaW for the pointer towards Wonderbox. I've just been on their site and just love the Sockettes.

Some of their stuff looks very similar to StorySacks?

I wonder if anyone has used their materials? The prices look very reasonable but is it well made? Does it last?

Thanks

Gruffalo2 :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)