Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rockets

Hello. Our reception class are hoping to fly into space this week, making our own rockets and launching them. Can any one help with how we can launch them. I know one way is with bi carb and vinegar and I've been told you can also do it using a bike pump. Can any one help? We idealy want them to be able to launch their rockets themselves and not rely on us.

Thanks alot.

Jodes

Hmmm ............dynamite!

No only joking - sounds like great fun.........will ask hubby when he gets in .........he's bound to have some ideas....whether they will be usable (is that a word?!)or not I couldn't say!!!

Sunnyday

I've done water rockets with a bicycle pump with my Brownies many times - basically you need a lemonade bottle with a cork that fits in the top. You need a hole going right the cork and a bicyle tyre valve inserted in the hole. Before putting the cork in the bottle, put some water in the bottle then insert the cork with the valve then position the bottle upside down and angled away from you on some sort of tripod using stakes, then start pumping - the air pressure will launch the rocket leaving the cork behind. I will try and find the actual instructions though as i may have missed something vital!

Here you go

chaos science

Edited by SP61HJ

Hi. Just to say thanks for the help. Would love to have used dynamite but think my head may have had something to say about that!! Shame really!!

Instead we used a combination of fizzy vitamin c tablets with great results and the water rockets on Chaos science which was huge fun today. We challenged all the parents to make a rocket with their kids at home so we could have a competition today and the best part was nearly all the parents joined in! We are all kids at heart!!

Thanks again and enjoy your half term if you are off!

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)