Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teachers With Older Qualifications

If you look up" historical qualifications " on the internet it opens on the page that gives info on acceptability of pre-1981 qualifications.Hope this info is helpful to those concerned about their "older"qualifications. Don't worry about it though because I was reading something that said Ofsted are going to give 3 years for people to update. Incidentally it stated that it is the responsibility of the ofsted inspector to determine whether a person is suitably qualified. My inspector didn't have a clue . She recommended I asked the early years team for proof of my elegibily to run the group which of course they couldn't do. Two years later they have kindly arranged and funded the APEL for people in the same situation as my self. Not many have taken up the offer and are still running their groups and still intend to do so.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE

Hi All

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I had a simular problem 2 years ago and was told my 1996 DPP was out of date and that I needed to up date with an NVQ 3

I didnt want to go over the same ground covered by the DPP, I went to my local college to see what was on offer such as APL and they looked at my qualifications and asked if I would be interested in the HND in early childhood studies,

so rather than re-doing my level 3 qualification I have moved up to level 4, I am now in my second year and enjoying the challenge but not every one wants that challenge.

with regards to NNEB's I was told by my OFSTED inspector that qualifications remain valid if the person has kept up to date with current practise such as training days, child protection and so on. If a person has worked since qualifying with no major career breaks then their qualification would still be valid. but even if they are "out of date" the person is still classed as having a level 2 qualification which is adequate for most staff in nursery settings and but not for anyone wanting to be a supervisor.

• 2 weeks later...

the HND is based at my local college who is running a franchise from University Colleage Worcester

there appears to be several uni's up and down the country running the HND at franchised colleges most of my local colleges run the HND on behalf of one university or another

I dont think I could of manage distance learning to me that is the hardest way to study and anyone who completes any course distance learning deserves a medal

well done to all those distance learners out there :D

• 1 month later...

Hi Alison

I am also completing a HND by franchise from a local university. I think there are probably more mature student who do the franchise because local colleges are less intimidating and easier to get to. our local gollege also has crech facilities and has tried to work the lectures around school times so that parents can be home to pick up children after school.

i am applying to universities now to complete the top up year to a degree and have noticed how some of the lecture time tables are very unsociable if youu have a young family i.e. 5 - 9 pm lectures. My husband does not get home till six and i would have to leave the house at four!

I have to say that i would struggle to work on my own and complete an O.U. course. Hats off to those of you doing O.U.

julie

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found my "blue book." This is all the documentation on the Childrens Act 1989.(published in 1992).Looking at it briefly I can't see that any definitions have changed significantly. Except that we are encouraged to take younger children. The definition of a "fit person" states that they MUST be suitably qualified and/or trained having completed one of the following .e.g NNEB,PPA foundation,B.Tech(child care),Early years teaching,Montessori.etc. etc.

It also states that other qualifications may be approved in the future. It says nothing about having the right to denounse them.

My classroom assistant is an NNEB. We have worked together for about 15 years. She is absolutely brilliant - grossly underpaid and extremely capable. We work as a team and I have alwasy considered her qualifications to be high. Over the years we have trained many classroom assistants on vaious courses and I would not rate them as highly as the old NNEB training, which was well organised and invovled lots of observations and written work of a high standard. Our Nursery Nurse has the same qualification and has subsequently done an Advanced Dip in Early Years. They both help run afterschool clubs, and give up Saturdays for courses and spend hours before and after school helping with preparation, school fairs, talking to parents etc.

My TA has also trained to provide ELS wich she does extremely well.

I know they are concerned about the new restructuring of assistans pay worrying about fitting in at a lower level than they deserve.

I don't know if you read the other subjects but the discussions regarding older qualifications is getting quite heated. We are trying to highlight our cause saying that they should still be recognised as we have years of experience to go with them as well by faxing our local MPs

www.faxyourmp.com

If you can do anything to help then please do so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and get faxing please please please please.

hi, i`m a NNEB who has just applied for a post as early years support.i have worked as a childminder whilst being at home with my own children , so i have knowlegde of ELG.i am in the dark as to what courses will help me in the role of teaching support within a reception class. by the way I find it amazing how little people know about the NNEB . my 2 years training was very indepth and based on a version of the ELG. in which we studied the whole child in all areas of development.my observations of the reception class i help in ,is that it is the NNEB in motion!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest valletta

help needed on funding

am looking into the apel course but it costs £500 - my pre school cannot afford this and I wish to know if I can get help with this fee - thats if I decide to do it - have till the end of April to make my mind up

I have also been looking at the APEL course - I have been quoted £600. Here in West Sussex there is no funding as yet but have been told there MIGHT be some funding available later. How much later? PLA have told me about two fast track courses - DPP lasting just 2 terms and Supported Distant Learning same sort of length - £317.50 - that can be funded. Waiting for info about the 2 fast track courses from PLA. :o

I still think that owning and working in my Pre-school for 25 years with no breaks and keeping up to date with courses, conferences, etc should satisfy OFSTED - but apparently from what I read on this forum not every inspector is in agreement! xD

Sue J

Have been running my group for 24years. Ofsted can't tell me if my "old foundation qualification" is suitable. Inspector said it was O.K as far as she was concerned but TO ask the EYDCP who came up all the funding for APEL. It is fast track. Can take only 12 wks to do. They tricked me into doing it as I was originally told that I had to sign up before this April as they were going to withdraw the funding. They have in fact extended it to last another year

Have been running my group for 24years. Ofsted can't tell me if my "old foundation qualification" is suitable. Inspector said it was O.K as far as she was concerned but TO ask the EYDCP who came up all the funding for APEL. It is fast track. Can take only 12 wks to do. They tricked me into doing it as I was originally told that I had to sign up before this April as they were going to withdraw the funding. They have in fact extended it to last another year

Sue J,

Cache are also very helpful. As my mentor has been off sick for a lot of the time I have phoned them with queries. Don't rush into doing it because it is long distance learning you can start it at any time and can submit it at the end of any month. Look into all ways of upgrading. I was rushed into doing it because I was told that funding in my area would be withdrawn this April and all work would have have to be submitted by them Have found out since that it has been extended. I didn't have time to look into other more interesting alternatives.I have done most of it myself without help from the tutor so it can't be that difficult. After Easter I will go and see the tutor and if I am on the right track I shall be in a position to help anyone else. Before you think about doing it you must have been supervising for your group.

Thanks for your e mail Hotgoss. I have spent a while this morning writing to my local MP!! I will find the website for info on APEL that you suggested later today. Thanks.

Thanks Bubblejack, I am going to take my time to decide what course I might take (the main reason is because I really don't see why I should do another course) - I feel it's an insult to people like me that have worked in the same job for a long time, with no career break and have done short courses etc to keep up to date. But then, if I have to do it or close the Pre-school I shall have to get on and do it! :o

By the way, I do keep copies of all newsletters, thankyou cards and notices so should I end up doing a course then I will have some evidence.

Thanks again

Sue J

Sue J,

Yes I like you don't see why I have to do it. As I am working my way through the assessments that fact is even becoming more apparent. I am evaluating all my practices only to show an assessor the way I work. I would have expected an ofsted inspector to be in a better position to decide this. I feel it is not only a case of looking at paperwork but more important being there to assess the atmosphere, the way children and adults interact with each other and to judge the childrens approval of the curriculum that we have planned for them.I have not yet actually been told I am not suitable. No one could decide the uncertainty was beginning to annoy me so I decided to put my energy in to doing the APEL. What decided me was the fact that it was funded. I can't resist a bargain !!

Sorry I am braindead today meant to say all qualifications BEFORE 1989.(It does me no favours being at home)

I disagree with this.... I completed my NNEB in 1995, been working in childcare ever since and have been told that it is no longer recognised... 1995 is the cut off year for NNEB's sue to what was covered in the course... however I argueed my case, as have been working in childcare ever since and have done loads of ongoing training...

I solved the problem by writing out a CV and mailing courses, asking then if I could syudy their level 3 course, and had several written responses saying why, I had all the relevant training, would be pointless etc.... finally they are happy with it as long as I consider doing a level 3 in the future...

Well as I am against doing a qualification I already have, I am studying a level 4 instead!!!

Puddle ducks who told you this ??? I cannot believe it , I thought it was mad saying mine was out of date (1984 ) but this takes the biscuit,

Early years needs to be looked at and soon otherwise they are going to lose a lot of experienced people who could be passing on their knowledge to new members of staff and the children they work with. But obviously by putting us on the scrapheap they think they know best.

It really is a mad situation

Puddleducks,

I recently phoned th Q.C.A. to check whether my deputys D.P.P (1994) is valid and was told it was fine. I also have queried with them why Ofsted cannot define suitability. The Q.C.A. assess if a course is suitable. That is different from Ofsted saying whether a person is suitable to run the group.That is why I was told that my qualification was O.K. as far as the inspector was concerned. It doesn't seem to matter that Cache who have taken over the( "Old PLA qualifications) have not approved some the courses. He stated that Ofsted inspectors have different views to Cache!!!

I have just rung Sure start, dept for education. They are saying that as long as you have not had a exceptionally long career break your NNEB (regardless of the year you qualified) will still be valid.

The very nice man on the end of the line said lots of people have been calling in asking the same question!

The Number is 0207 2735612.

Did they say you have to have made sure that you have 'topped up' in certain areas

Do you know who it was that you dealt with.

I've been told that I am a high level 2 working towards a level 3 but have top up in

anti-discriminatory practice

equality of opportunity

child protection

health and safety

curriculum planning and early learning goals

but there is uncertainty as to what can be classed as a top up course

I have do of additional training :)

The ones that I have been advised count are 'cluster meetings' or one provided by the EYEDCP - in otherworks training that they are in my area providing funding for and are run during the day 9-4ish... I childmind then!

The person who told me was the Network boss in Hampshire - I am a childminder... and need to have a relevant level three to offer NEG - she took her figures from some document she had in front of her... to be honest I am no longer worried... they have accpeted my qualifications and I am improving for myself, by studying the Advanced diploma in Childcare and Education (a level 4) by distance learning.

Areas that I were made aware of to top up are:

child protection

early years curriculum

anti-discriminatory

(I HAVE NOW DONE THESE AT LEVEL 4)

and a range of ongoing training... recently been advised that it you attend 4 days of foundation training a yet, as each setting is recommended if they wish to pull down EYE funding, then you are fine... that is if you attend and not other members of staff.... as a Accredited Childminder claiming NEG, I have to do this... that is on top of working full time and studying for a level 4, and being a mum!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest valletta

hi hotgoss

as said before........ do not take any notice of Cache or PLa etc, it is Ofsted that ring the changes.

I was being forced to do the NVQ3 after being inn the preschool for 15years without a career break - I had even applied to do the APEL course.

But!! - on our Ofsted inspection, the lady was pleased with my qualifications and as long as I am updating I do not have to do the NVQ3

so I am a happy bunny now - the pressure is off and now I can continue in my work place into another year (16) - without it overhanging me.

so stick in there. the Ofsted lady also said not to take any notice of the PLA with suggestions they come up with as at the end of the day it is Ofsted that is in charge.

hope this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)