Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reggio Emilia

Hi does anyone know any good websites or books which discuss the reggio approach simply and if possible has photos of classrooms to inspire and help in creating this kind of environment

Hi Cazza -

There doesn't seem to be a great deal in the way of easily accessible online resources for Reggio (although I'm sure one of the other knowledgeable members here will immediately point out a whole wealth of stuff). We have a standard link in our resources page through to the Sightlines Initiative, although to get much more than an overview you have to pay a £20 fee. I'm not sure of the quality and extent of their articles as I haven't seen them.

HI Cazza

I recently attended a conference in Brum on Creatvity particulalry looking at the Reggio approach. If you can get to Brum there is the Reggio exhibition 'The Hundred Langauges of Children' which is a must for anyone interested in their approach to creativity and learning. It's on at 'The Custard Factory' Digbeth, Birmingham until December 15th. At the exhibition there is a book stall covering many apsects of Reggio.

Another site to visit for further info/advise is www.stthomascentre.bham.org.uk

they are holding seminars and workshops for EY professionals, practitioners and artists working with 0-5 year olds.

Contact number for St Thomas centre is Jany Oksman 0121 464 2171

Thanks for your replies (and email Diane).

The more i find out the more interested in the subject i am becoming. It looks like a big change for everyone if i do implement it though so will have to consider it carefully.

I anyone knows of any more reading material send it my way!

Thanks a lot Cx

'The Reggio approach' is such as buzz word at the moment in early years - I must admit however that it is hard to find sites on the net about it!!!

I know that the whole town (Reggio Emilia) is based around their children and their '100 languages' and that everyone from architects to the mayor have this philosophy at the heart of all they do.

You can organise to go and visit but the spaces are v.v.v limited (I know that even high up government officials find it difficult to go!) as the town has set times when people can visit as they provide a real education whilst you visit.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the exhibition in Birmingham on Friday WOW! I actually felt like crying and now really believe that this is the way to approach children's learning. I picked up an interesting booklet (only £3.50) which is produced by Learning and Teaching Scotland (Tel: 01382 443600). It is called 'The Reggio Emilia Approach to Early Years Education' and is very well written and explains in a practical way how to incorporate some of the ideas and also the danger in believing that we can replicate the idea in this country.

'While direct replication of the Reggio Approach would be both difficult and ill advised, the approach can undoubtedly serve as a stimulus for much needed change within our own system. Without attempting to copy we can, in the words of Carlini Rinaldi, seek to 'translate' what we learn from Reggio educators.'

:D Well done Scotland ! Wake up England !!!

Teri, I've just got back from the exhibition and also bought the book. What a fantastic aproach. It left us feeling very disallusioned as to how we approach childcare and education in this country. The work being produced by even 2.5 year olds is astonishing, and not a pencil, worksheet or staff planning meeting in sight. Everything is centred on the children. Loved it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)