Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Medical Appointments

I have a situation with a member of staff who keeps booking time off for the dr's or hospital without consulting management first. This has led to a few problems in the past. But we discovered this person has booked some time off at the end of week and not requested time off yet, this means we be under staffed for part of the morning - i.e 8 over ratio! This member of staff will not cancel the appointment and re-arrange even after being politely asked. Is it reasonable to expect this person to re-arrange for a more convenient time?

sometimes you just have to take appointments as they arise and cannot easily change them i know from experience, or if you do you have another long wait to see someone..

think it may depend on the reason, but It would not be unreasonable for you to ask for written notice of appointments and for you to see the appointment card or letter to confirm it.

We didn't get paid for time off for appointments , occasional ones we had allowance for but when I was away a lot I did not get paid for the time .. after all they had to pay for my cover..

Inge

Hi, Is this a full time member of staff. We say that full time staff (as statutory guidelines stipulate) can and do have time off for appointments etc. but part time staff are expected to arrange them wherever possible out of hours - admittedly though this isn't always possible, since certain clinics only run at certain times. It is of course important though that they tell you ASAP to arrange cover. I would have a word with your staff member and explain your position and the need for you to have time to organise cover, and also consider whether or not she would be paid. Perhaps she just hasn't realised the impact the time off is having. This may make the difference - may not. If not I guess you could bring it up in appraisal - we had this with a staff member whose children seem to be permanently sick and keeping her off and it seemed to work. HTH Zoe

It is difficult, isn't it?? Hospital appointments aren't usually given at very short notice, so she could at least let you know about these well in advance. Doctors can be on the day ( lucky her if she can access her gp on the day though!).However, I do think you should explain that you need as much notice as possible, to enable you to cover her absences and to ensure you are never compromised on safety, which you are, if you are not keeping within ratios.She must realise that if an Ofsted inspector were to turn up during one of those times, you'd all be in big trouble.........................but the main thing is te safety angle, of course. It's also a question of looking at this lady's overall health problems, if she needs lots of hospital/doctors appointments, is this going to be a long-term problem for you and her? I have had LOADS of appointments over the last few months, due to a hiccup with my health, but I always arrange suitable cover. Does this lady need more support, or is this a sudden, short term problem? Either way, she needs to be made aware that she's got to let you know as soon as she gets appointments through.Maybe if she loses pay when she doesn't let you know, it will concentrate her mind??

we have problems with staff making appointments during working hours, i know some are unavoidable.....but why is it the staff that only work 3 mornigs a week that for some reason seem unable to make a dental check up 6 months in advance for an afternoon or even during holidays !

We now have this member of staff asking for time off claiming they only knew about it the night before. Yet I have her request for those days off from two weeks ago. Why can't people just be honest and think about others as well.