Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Title And Role

This is my first posting so I hope you can bear with me. I am now very confused, because following a conversation today it would seem my supervisor has promoted another member of staff as deputy. There have been no formal interviews and the deputy post has not been advertised. I have QTS and have spent the last 4 years working in a pre-school. Previously, if the supervisor was off site then I was one of the people who acted as supervisor in her absence. I am also being asked to take on the role of graduate leader. Now I really need to know what my postion is and to whom I am accountable. Hoping someone can help with their opinion on this.

Dennie

First Dennie welcome to the Forum!

I don't think there is actually any requirement to advertise a job although it is obviously good practice and failing to do so may well contravene the group's Equal Opportunities policy.

You say that 'it would seem' that another staff member has been promoted so maybe this is the place to start. Was there actually a vacancy and has a person been appointed to this post? Would you have liked the opportunity to apply for the post?

If someone has been effectively promoted over your head, you are entitled to know how this affects your own position within the organisation and what the reporting structure is. I would say you are also entitled to voice your disappointment if this was a job you were interested in taking on, especially if you feel you are equally or more qualified than the person who has been promoted. You are entitled to know why you were not considered for the post, I think.

I'm also interested in your comment about being asked to undertake the graduate leader role - depending on the size of the group it may be felt that this is not compatible with the role of deputy supervisor, especially if the latter role is more about managing staff and the provision rather than leading the delivery of the EYFS and raising standards.

My advice for what its worth would be to talk to your supervisor or whoever is in charge (are you a private or committee run group?) and ask for a word about what has happened and how it affects you. Once you have all the facts to hand you can then think about how it affects you and make some decisions about what action to take, if any.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Maz

Hi Susan

Thanks for your reply. I have worked in education for nearly 20 years but have children who are still primary age and don't want to go back to teaching full time as I know how much time this takes up. I now enjoy working in the younger age range (previously I worked with 5-12 year olds) and I think it is about time we were recognised for all we do and the commitment we have.

Dennie

Hi Maz

Thanks for your reply and for your support. To answer a few of your questions. We are a committee run group. We have only ever had a supervisor and have never had a deputy. Only the supervisor and 2 other members of staff are a level 3 or above. The first I knew of there being a deputy was when I was filling in forms for the supervisor (I get asked to do quite a lot of the admin) and she referred to "the deputy" being a level 3. I must admit I was so taken by surprise I didn't really know what to say. I feel there is a lack of communication and management by the committee.

I wasn't under the impression that a new post was being created so the opportunity to apply for the role was not offered, but I do agree with what you say - the graduate leader role might well be enough for me. At the moment it looks as if from a personal point of view I will receive no incentive for being the graduate leader in terms of salary. I have seen a number of posts in the forums asking about what the funding might provide and queries about wages. There has been some talk at our setting about training courses and buying new resources but no suggestion of additional pay if I take on the role. I'm really wondering if there is any point me taking on the role now as unqualified staff earn virtually the same as me.

Just feeling a bit dazed today and a little bit bruised I guess. As you say, I really need to find out where I stand in the hierarchy of the group.

Thanks

Dennie

We all feel a bit bruised when we have things dropped on us!

What a pity your supervisor didn't feel it was worth letting you know what was going on and why.

I hope having a chat clears a few things up for you. (Though the salary issue is a biggie.)

Perhaps you could "LEAD" an improvement in communication when this is all sorted out.

Hi AlisonP

I have to agree with MappyMaz that you need to talk to the Supervisor / Chair / whoever to get the facts. But I just wanted to querie why you would not get extra pay as the graduate lead. The setting should be able to claim money from the Graduate Leader Fund which was set up to do just that. Ask your advisory team fro local details.

Hope it sorts out well for you

Gruffalo2

:o

Hi Dennie,

You might want to consider registering for EYPS from September; do you have a reasonably local provider? If you fancy that, then these attachments on the role of an EYP, and how this role might sit with other practitioners in your setting, might help you define your position. :o

Ruth_1.doc

Ruth2.doc

Hi Helen

Thanks for your information regarding the role of the EYP. It's not something that I have ruled out entirely, but after several conversations with my local authority I was told that as a graduate with qualified teacher status I didn't really need to have EYPS. I was told it was more a status than a qualification. I have seen discussions in the past about QTS and EYPS on a number of sites and the roles certainly need clarifying.

I spoke to the chair today about whether there was now a deputy and she informed me that the situation had been talked about but nothing had been agreed or formalised. The chair then said that other members of staff and myself were level 3 weren't we and I pointed out that I was level 6 according to the CDWC. Our current committee has no one from an educational background and I'm not sure they appreciate the different childcare/teaching qualifications. I really don't have a problem with another member of staff being the deputy, but I do think these things need to be done openly and fairly and with the knowledge of all.

Thanks for your support.

Dennie

It does seem to be a bit of a muddle, doesn't it?!

I understand your reservations about EYPS; I am a QTS and was part of the first cohort to do EYPS a couple of years ago. I have to say the two are entirely different; EYPS is all about leading practice, instigating changes in the setting, supporting and mentoring colleagues with CPD, building a collaborative team, being accountable for the provision, etc. All these are above what most people would expect from a teacher, and I firmly believe EYPS (and you're right, it is a status not a qualification) is the way to go if one wants to lead practice and be the graduate leader for a setting. Although the two are deemed to be "equal", there is not much evidence of it in pay and conditions though xD:o

Hi Dennie, it may be worth having a quick look at your policies because in our 'Valuing diversity and promoting equality' policy it says 'Any vacancies will be advertised'. mrsW.