Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interesting Point.

I have been scouring the Playing with Sounds Document in order to do training and I have found this very useful paragraph which comes from the DfES response to the phonics seminar held in 2003.

"The National Literacy Strategy starts to teach letter identification, segmentation and blending for writing and reading in later Foundation Stage (Reception). The term phonics is also applied to activities appropriate to the Early Foundation stage such as playing with environmental sounds, rhyme, rhythm, and alliteration as these are crucial to nurturing the phonemic awareness which is necessary for learning to read and spell. There is no intention to introduce children to letter identification, segmentation and blending for writing and reading any earlier than the reception year?

Now I interpret this as meaning that we DO NOT need to be teaching how c-a-t says cat or reading cat by sounding out cuh-ah-tuh anytime before reception. OF course we want to be doing things that promote letter and sound awareness and the PWS gives guidance on how this connects to the stepping stones, but i think this may be helpful for colleagues who have parents requesting level 4 readers by age 3.

Cx :o

Susan, I think that is what it implies, the thrust seems to be that children should be introduced to blending and segmenting from Reception age and to that end the groups of letters in steps 2-4 have been rearranged to include vowels so that children can be introduced to cvc words earlier. I think the good thing is that it is putting a firm emphasis on the rhyme/rhythmn/alliteration awareness that is rooted in the stepping stones.

I think the new materials are very interesting and useful and as usual extra guidance is provided later to make sure the approach and activities are appropriate. I love the emphasis in the 'Foundations of Literacy' and we are virtually making that our bible !!!!...... I think it is important the type of catchment your setting serves. In my school which is in an area of deprivation where many children do not have a rich language experience sounding out CVC words before Reception would not be approprite for most children, but being excited by the many uses of language is our most vital concern and helps us develop confident and enthsiastic talkers and thinkers ! The nuts and bolts fit into place soon enough alongside and after this .

Galleon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)