Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Solving Theoretical And Practical Problems

I have to provide some evidence for my foundation degree profile which shows how I;

"Solve theoretical and practical problems that have occurred, or are likely to occur, when carrying out the role of senior practitioner within early years."

I am working as a childminder and a few hours a week in the village nursery but not as a senior practitioner.

I know I am probably being really thick but I cannot think of any evidence which fits this skill.

Can anyone help me with some ideas? Pleeeeeeease!

Can anyone help me with some ideas? Pleeeeeeease!

Well I guess the first place to start is to look at the difference between theoretical and practical problems. Do you think they define a theoretical problem as one that hasn't happened but might in the future? If this is the case then perhaps you can talk about how you have risk assessed a trip or a new activity, or reviewed a policy to take account of a particular 'what if' scenario?

For the practical problem this could probably be something quite small and seemingly insignificant because you do it all the time. So have you resolved an issue by reflecting on what is happening in your child minding practice and making a change to your routines or organisation.

I think often we think evidence of this kind has to be complicated or 'important' and it can be easy to overlook what we do everyday because it is such an integral part of what you do.

As for your being thick - I doubt that somehow! :o

Maz

Thankyou Maz,

I makes so much more sense when you put it like that.

When something doesn't make sense straight away I begin to panic and then I can't think straight!

I can work on it in a calm, collected, group-up manner now.

When something doesn't make sense straight away I begin to panic and then I can't think straight!

Been there, done that Alison! Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees and you need someone on the outside of the Forest to show the way!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)