Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting Rules (golden Rules)

I'd be grateful if you could share with me the rules you have for your setting that the children are made aware of, such as being kind, no running, quiet voices etc. I'm making a poster for the children and would be interested in what rules your setting has.

Thanks in advance

ppp

We also make ours with the children at the beginning of each year (but we are year R). We have found that the simpler the better though and it's much better to have 5 crucial rules than more that perhaps aren't so important. We tend to have things like

We are kind to everyone

We look after things.

We walk around school.

Hi the school have just started Golden rules and the children can earn Golden Tickets, however we thought we would ask our children what they thought was important - being kind, sharing, good listening, saying please and thank you, not running in nursery, tidying up, washing hands etc. we have also just started a 'star of the morning' 'star of the afternoon' systen where the 'star' has a stamp on their hand and their name is displayed in the window for parents to see, it has been really good and the parents are very excited when they come at home time. we have only got 24 children so it doesnt take long to get through them all. they get the award for a variety of reasons.

we introduced golden rules in september, we use them to maintain good behaviour and opportunties to offer praise and reward. Each day we have a special helper who we encourage show show responsibility for the golden rules- the children love this! they get to carry out special jobs throughout the session and take home a silver/gold certificate.

we then use stickers to reward children on their behaviour throughout the session, writing on a crd why they have been given a sticker so mum and dad know whats happened.

our golden rules are simple and as follows:

try to be gentle and kind

try to look after our books and toys

try to be honest

try to listen to eachother

try to be helpful

we feel these work for us, and our children then recognise their own behaviours

such as 'if we share thats helpful', 'i gave ... a tissue she was sad, im kind arent i' .

we feel our golden rules suit our children and setting, we then have 'skills of circle time' also, where we encourge listening, looking, thinking, concentrating.

oh yes- forgot to add!

we have a friendship rainbow and the golden rules diplayed under our rainbow.

the rainbow is made up of each childs handprints, and as new children start we had theirs and when children leave they take their hand with them.

we encourage the children to think about their friends when implementing the golden rules and how they can help us all feel safe and happy.

the rainbow is made up of each childs handprints, and as new children start we had theirs and when children leave they take their hand with them.

Ooh I love this idea! Might have to steal it!

Maz

Ooh I love this idea! Might have to steal it!

Maz

it looks great on the wall! each child can choose what colour hand they want, and their name gets written across the middle then we laminate them and add them to the wall.

Children love searching for their names and their friends names, and when we hold our open evenings parents enjoy looking at them!

we have even put our staff handprints up too!

it looks great on the wall! each child can choose what colour hand they want, and their name gets written across the middle then we laminate them and add them to the wall.

Children love searching for their names and their friends names, and when we hold our open evenings parents enjoy looking at them!

we have even put our staff handprints up too!

What a great way to support their sense of belonging!

I might have to steal that too.

Hi

We have five golden rules which we have on a rules tree

We walk

We listen

We are kind (kind hand, kind feet, kind words)

We all tidy up

we share

We hang the tree up every morning and if any child is seen to be following the rules, they put up a leaf on the tree with their name on it. They love to see their names up on the tree and I think because the rules are short it helps them remember, especially the younger children.

Motherclangerx

• 3 years later...

Just been down to the baby room today to see how their obs and planning are going....thay seem to been planning for all 7 areas of learning I suggested that this may not be necessary for this age group and perhaps they should focus on the 3 main areas as suggested in the new EYFS... Anyone else agree or have I gone barking mad :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)