Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nativity Play

Hey!! That's lovely, can I use it next year?

Too late for this year, children are too good at the one we're using - I'm told! Had only just started rehearsals when I had my little 'contretemps'!

Thanks,

Sue :D

Guest Sycamore

hi

Musicroom.com will send you a script and tape of music in days.

I have done Grumpy Sheep and Little Angel. If you like I can send you an adaptation of Little Angel for reception.

Also at a recent course a suggestion was We're all going to Bethlehem using the same type of idea as We're going on a Bear Hunt.

Good Luck

:)

Does anyone have a jaunty little number that could accompany our Kings in our Christmas assembly (infant school)? All we have is the "pa rum pa pum pum" song, whih is a bit too slow, or "we 3 kings", which is a bit too complicated word-wise!

Any help would be gratefully received :D

This is a song that I "invented" for last year's Nativity. It is to the tune of Frere Jacques. If you are very ambitious you can divide the children into two parts so that each line is "echoed". If not you can sing it as it is.

A gift of gold, a gift of gold

We'd like to bring, we'd like to bring

A present for the baby, a present for the baby

The little King, the little King.

A gift of frankincense, a gift of frankincense

We'd like to bring, we'd like to bring.

A present for the baby, a present for the baby,

A gift of myrrh, a gift of myrrh

We'd like to bring, we'd like to bring

A present for the baby, a present for the baby

[/i]Each king walked and gave their gift to Mary and Joseph during the appropriate verse.

Hi

Have got sleepy shepherd (i think it was from out of the ark - but got it from another school) could download but will have to get it on comp 1st and then theres the problem of the songs to go with it..you need the songs..... xD

any ideas anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Hi ASPK,

For our kings we sing:

Three kings long ago

made a journey so slow

To see a baby fair

from their camels on high

they looked at the sky

a star was shining there

Travelling Travelling Travelling on

Only a star to guide them along

Then in Bethlehem's town

Those three wise men found

Sweet Jesus in the hay.

Not sure if its 'jaunty' ! but main prob is I can't sing it to ya! Haven't got a clue but I'm sure if anyone was REALLY interested I could find the sheet music and try and scan it at work?

Could also do with some help please :o

We do our play as whole FS so the Nursery do the Nativity bit(reception are choir for this) and then Joseph says 'Christmas is a happy time let's sing some happy songs' and then its the Reception's turn to do jingle bells etc. Last year we had santa coming on with his sleigh to jingle bells,rudolf chn dressed up in pjamas doing a bit about xmas eve, you'd betta watch out and when santa got stuck up the chimney we alll finished with we wish you a merry christmas. So we hadsanta, rudolf, elves, reindeer and children in p-jays so even if they didn't have lines they had a part. Not sure whether to do it like this this year. Needs to be quite short but I fancy something different. Any ideas??

Thanks so much for your replies - especially Horsechestnut - it's ace!! I'm worried now some of you are talking about rehearsals taking place already!!

Guest Tracey F

Not kings but shepherds! Sorry - it was Jackie and her 'invented' song about the kings. We also invented a song to the tune of Frere Jacques for our shepherds a couple of years ago!

Shepherds sitting, shepherds sitting

On a hill, On a hill,

Angels came to tell them, angels came to tell them

'All is well, all is well.'

'There's a baby, there's a baby

In the town, in the town.

Lying in a manger, lying in a manger,

Hurry down, hurry down.'

• 2 weeks later...

We're having our FIRST practice on Monday, out all day at pantomime etc on Tuesday, and dress rehearsal planned for next Monday followed by performance next Tuesday ..... PANICKING ME :oxD

On the plus side, guess it means I don't have to plan much for next week :D

Good luck everyone with your Christmas plays etc.

Harricroft

Our plays are this week!

Dress rehearsals tomorrow infront of the rest of the school and then performances Tuesday and Wednesday. I wont be able to see 1/3rd of my class perform as I will be with my other 2/3rds :o Reception and Nursery are doing 1 play and Yrs1 and 2 are doing another and because I have both, I have to stay with the majority, such a shame. Doubt anyone will come to my aid so I can see them perform, other than the dress rehersal tomorrow.

Aargh!!!!!!

Just had the worst dress rehearsal in the history of time, I think!!!

The children, far from being stage struck (apart from 1 poor dear who was inconsolable) were really showing off, messing about, throwing things around, picking the props apart, calling out & chatting to each other. I was really shocked about it - I'm pleased they're confident but...

Let's hope they rise to the occasion of the real event tomorrow!

Dianne

Oh Dianne :o

I was just reading a lovely account of a journalists visit to his daughters nativity play in which she played Mary and how she dropped baby Jesus!!

The article was sort of tongue in cheek but there were bits I loved :D such as;

' There are so many nativity plays in Britain that it was reported yesterday, they are almost single-handedly keeping the tea-towel industry going!

'This doting Dad, I confess, had two brimful wells for eyes as my daughter tenderly cradled the infant Jeseus in her arms and a chorus of 50 or so little ones warbled and lisped their way through in the Belak Mid winter'

At these thousnads of productions teachers with the patience of saints will crouch in front of the stage to mouth the words and prompt the dance movements, they will have often workded overtime to prepare the play, all for nothing more than some heartfelt thanks and a post-performance cup of tea.

These nativity plays will be watched by audiences in which the majority of parents, adult members of the most cynical generation that ever strode this land, are reduced to jabbering, weepy wrecks, all damp noses and wobbly chins and drenched in tissue paper'

He also relayed some 'nativity gaffes'

The little boy playing the innkeeper who, when asked, 'Do you have any room at the inn?" remembered everything his mother had taught him about being hospitable to people who called at the door and said "Of course! Please come in!"

The shepherd who asked Mary what she was going to call her newborn child and Mary was panic struck unable to remember her line. Then she remembered her little sisters name and replied "Julia"

The innkeeper who forgot his lines and the teacher whispered 'Say something' and then in desperation the teacher said 'say anthing!' and the innkeeper announced

"Auntie Joan gave Mummy a perm for Christmas!" :D:D:D

There were some sad one too xD like the four year old who was dropped from the cast two days before the main performance because she waved to her mum at rehearsals :(

I just have to say that for me, finally 2 different nativities (one for my YRs and one for my Y1s) and 6 performances later, the last one being tonight, NO MORE NATIVITY for another year!!!!! I'm exhausted and I nearly fell asleep in class this afternoon!!

Well done, you'll sleep well tonight!! :o

First perf for us today, went well, thanks xD:(. Last tomorrow, they're little stars all of them! The Cow has an amazing costume (provided by Grandma), complete with udder!!!

Sue :D

Our Kings song-

A silver star was shining in the sky one night,

To guide the Kings to Jesus by it's shining light.

The kings had brought some presents for the baby sweet,

They laid them very gently at his tiny feet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)