Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Great Activity

Hi it's me again!

Just thought I would share with you an excellent activity that really got the children excited yesterday. We aquired some bones from a pet shop and after boiling them to get rid of the marrow we burued them in the sand. After adding archaeologist signs, brushes, magnifying glasses and cameras we told the children that we had made a discovery. I pretended that I rang the museum who said they were very busy and didn't have any anyone to dig them out. The children were beside themselves with excitement. They took great care removing them from the sand pit outside ands even chose to label them and write up an Archaeology report (I said i would need to send them to the museum). It was brilliant and they loved every minute. I decided to really phone the museum who said they would come out next week and bring fossils. They even said they would play along with the little white lie!

We have looked at dinosaur books and we are setting up a small world dinosaur museum. Has anyone got any other good ideas to extend this topic? We read Funnybones as well.

Vicki

Wow Vicki! How enterprising of you - what a fantastic activity. It just goes to show that children really respond well to a great idea, well planned and executed!

Well done you!

Maz

Great idea. How about 'discovering' some buried treasure and then doing some stories about where it might have come from?

Or doing some work with microscopes and magnifying glasses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)