Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please?

Hello, just wondered if anyone had any advice. I have a child in my nursery class who is steadily becoming more disruptive as the year progresses. She demands attention constantly during carpet time....she talks over people all the time and finds it difficult to sit in one place...she moves to different spaces 3 or 4 times during a 20 minute carpet time (I know this is a long time for some children) When she moves she practically sits on top of others and they are beginning to not want her near them. She will make excuses to go to the toilet and she will hide in the block area. When another adult sits with her she deliberately snorts into her hand so she can get a tissue. I have tried a reward chart but this seems to have no effect. During free choice she is typically in the messy areas putting sand in the water, dough in the water and generally pasting the walls with dough and paint etc. (have to laugh really) When she cant do something she wants to do she will lash out at other children and is very defiant. Today she stood in the toliets, near the basin and did a wee on the floor because she couldnt do a certain task due to it not being her turn. I have spoken to parents but this is apparently behaviour only seen in school!!!! Any advice welcomed????????

Hi Jollmojo

This sounds like a lack of spacial awareness along with attention seeking behaviour and any attention from an adult,

either good or bad is what she's seeking!

I would suggest speaking to her parents again and ask them if anything has happened at home that could contribute

to this unacceptable behaviour? Perhaps put the ball in their court and ask what they might suggest you do within the setting to

help their daughter. That sometimes helps to break down barriers between setting/parents when things go wrong, rather

than just telling the parent what is going to happen. If you do not reach a solution, i would suggest you speak with your

early years advisor/SENco as they have probably seen this before and will be able to give you support. It may also be avisable to have a member of staff nearby as she moves around the room just to keep an extra eye on her to stop any incidents before they occur. Also when it comes to asking questions, lining up etc to make sure the little girl is not always first and for a member of staff to remind her of acceptable behaviour during these times. I am speaking from experience as we have had several children similar to the child you describe and with extra support from staff, they have all gone through this particularly unpleasant phase.

good luck :o

dottyp

I know that some members have found a carpet square or something similar to sit on helps. However, I have never had experience of this myself so can't vouch for it's effectiveness!

Poor you!

Excellent advice already from Dottyp - I would echo everything she said.

Can her keyperson give her some one-to-one support?

How old is she?

How are you dealing with her now? i.e. is she receiving lots of attention for this 'unwanted' behaviour? - believe me that's not any judgement as I know how hard it can be not to do that!

Parents need to offer some help and suggestions - they can't be allowed to just say 'it doesn't happen at home' (bet it does!)

Sunnyday

She sounds like a handful! I'd speak to your SENCO asap. I'd also consider whether 20 mins carpet time is appropriate. As a teacher, I've been told a good rule of thumb for concentration spans is a child's age plus two, so really you shouldn't be keeping them sat there for more than about 5 mins.

Thanks for all the advice! It's so helpful to hear other points of view. Sunnyday, she is 3 years old and not 4 until summer and unfortunately she is managing to receive lots of attention from us as it is extremely difficult to ignore her during carpet time as she talks over everyone and must get her point across regardless of what is going on around her. I constantly remind her (and everyone else) about good sitting and good listening, turn taking etc. she has a special reward chart for doing this as well as her normal sticker chart which everyone has for doing this at carpet time. I have tried sending her out, sitting her on a chair, sitting with another adult and even giving her a special duck to hold for sitting nicely but nothing seems to have much of an effect. You are right about the parents but they claim she is as good as gold at home although her older sibling has a few behaviour issues too. I will speak to the senco and her parents again, thanks for that advice dottyp. Suzyc8, i agree with you about concentrate span but unfortunately there is pressure from above to do a carpet session this long to prepare them for Reception which is quite formal at our school. I also have an open plan classroom where reception are downstairs and we have to be very quiet when they are having their carpet time! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)