Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Language Development

Hi

I have a little boy who is nearly four but he keeps missing out the initial sounds in words, we are repeating back words to him.. for example he would say at for cat.... so we would repeat back, oh yes there is a cat etc....

what else can we do to help him within the session......

we are waiting for SALT but there is a 3 month waiting time before they can see him, what could we do in the meantime... any ideas?

thanks

Hi

I have a little boy who is nearly four but he keeps missing out the initial sounds in words, we are repeating back words to him.. for example he would say at for cat.... so we would repeat back, oh yes there is a cat etc....

what else can we do to help him within the session......

we are waiting for SALT but there is a 3 month waiting time before they can see him, what could we do in the meantime... any ideas?

thanks

Just keep doing what you are doing. I wouldn't worry unduly. As he starts to see written words and maybe sound some letters out he'll notice these things for himself. You may find that words he's known for a while will stay improperly pronounced longer than new words he learns. It's a matter of unlearning the wrong ones, which can take a while, but if you are consistent in your approach, and don't make too much of a big thing of it, he'll get there!

Edited by Cait

My daughter used to do that. I'd actually forgotten until I was watching a video of her the other week.

(She's 19 now)

Once she started pre school her teacher would do as you are doing, and we did the same at home.

Within a couple of terms she was speaking properly.

jackie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)