Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wingate Children's Centre Conference

If anyone is interested the 3rd National Conference is on June 20th 2009, focusing on 'Learning Stories - a respectful approach to assessment'. The Keynote speaker is Wendy Lee from New Zealand, with seminars on the afternoon with the Wingate Team. All details including flyer and contact details will be on the website (www.wingatechildrenscentre.com).

I went last year and had a fascinating day (worth going just to see Paddy's set up and lunch was wonderful :o )

I'm going again this year and dragging along one of the nursery nurses this time...

Once again I will say lucky you Marion. I would love to go as I think Paddy Beales is an inspiration, as are her staff, and she is a really lovely person. I would love to go, but being retired I can't really think of an excuse to take up a practitioners place. Anyone who can get there shouldn't miss such a wonderful opportunity.

I agree Jacquie Paddy is a lovely lady and everyone is made to feel really welcome. Last year there were settings from as far afield as Wales, Scotland and Hampshire so it was nice just to meet up and chat apart from the content of the day.

• 1 month later...
Anyone going tomorrow?

Sadly not: have a Brownie sleepover instead!

Hope you have a great time though - will you report back about what you learned?

Maz

The theme is a respectful approach to assessment ~ Learning Stories with the guest speaker Wendy Lee from Waikato New Zealand so I'm expecting a good day ... I'll report back Sunday

OH I am sooo envious Marion I am sure you will have a superb day and look forward to hearing all about it.

I remember studying Te Whariki as part of my degree and am sure Wendy Lee was a member of the original project team

Ooh Marion what was she like? Would love to hear her speak!

Maz

Very petite and very talented ( she showed pictures of her pottery ) Extremely interesting lady to listen to Her talk was about inviting curiosity. She spent some time looking at the learning stories and the importance of talk and there was lots of friendly banter between her and Guy Claxton.

I've had a good week Geraldine I saw Prof Margaret Carr on Wednesday and will see Wendy tomorrow both leaders in the development of Te Whāriki

'it's not fair' <said in my best three year old tantrum whining voice!>

I see you can also do the correct 'a' in Te Whariki so am off to see if I can manage that too!!

I see you can also do the correct 'a' in Te Whariki so am off to see if I can manage that too!!

You're such a competitor Geraldine: there's not even a badge in it for you...! :o

Marion: I am deeply envious! xD

Maz

You're such a competitor Geraldine: there's not even a badge in it for you...! xD

Maz

:o blinking good job as I would have absolutely no hope of winning one! I have fiddled around with fonts and umlauts and all sorts but can't write Whariki correctly :(

.... and just for the record I do need to add 'win a badge' to my to do list as I need a spare :(

I can only do it on my PC (not my laptop) and a lot of trial and error involving the ctrl key and the number keys on the right hand side I think it was 146 but can't quite remember

Alternatively you could just do it in Word and cut and paste...

Whāriki

Maz :o

Alternatively you could just do it in Word and cut and paste...

Whāriki

Maz :o

Well I could and it would look like this ...... Whāriki .....but I am too honest to do that because the truth is I can't do it in word either so I borrowed yours Maz xD:(:(:( :wacko:

Wendy Lee was inspirational we spent lunchtime making notes on what we plan to begin on Monday to implement her ideas.

Lunch was wonderful.

After lunch we had workshops with staff from the centre we chose one on outdoor (woodland and centre outdoor areas)

Karen Ramsey talked about how her centre had developed Stories of Interest for planning

and the day was concluded by Jenny Woodbridge

my brain is buzzing and I've got goosebumps!

Soooooo envious Marion! Our Year 6 teacher goes on tons of great courses... I plead for clean sand! (It's not really quite that bad, but, y'know...y6 focussed). So - what are you going to implement on Monday? And tell us about Stories of Interest.

pleeeeeasee - YOU are my free-of-charge quality training opportunity!

On Monday I am nagging my head for money for Learning Story books but intend to make a start with what Wendy Lee described as "narrative" assessment ... we have heavy horses visiting so the children's responses should be a starting point.

Stories of Interest (I'm still trying to get my head around it and will bounce ideas off the NN who gave up her Saturday to come with me) but as I understand it at the moment... development from Learning Stories originally called Planning Stories document a learning resource rather than a single child (or group of children) and can develop over a period of weeks, months or years. The examples Karen gave were Threading / Glue Guns / Exploration

My understanding is they are like Continuous Provision Planning but I really need to think through what we saw and heard... so much to take in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)