Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Flickr

Hi there,

I'm trying to find a way of sharing photos online for immediate family and some close friends. Although I am now near having an OCD in backing up (having learnt this lesson the hard way recently), I am looking for a something somewhere secure and free (ish) to upload photos in case anything happens to our Mac, the backup disk or even the house. :o

Has anyone used Flickr and is it secure enough to prevent anyone seeing any photos I may upload esp of those of my neice and other friend's children? Also do I need to have a yahoo acount and again is it secure?

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks.

o0o0o hello I'm here! I've been using Flickr for my photos since 2006. I've never had any problems with it. You need a yahoo account in order to login but I only use it for that, I don't use it otherwise!

It's great as you can set photos to be friends and family only (other flickr users) or public or completly private. You can also give people guest passes to access certain photos if they are not flickr users but you have non public photos that you want to share.

I've been doing a photo a day project since March 19th 2007 and I'm still going strong! It's great to be able to share my photos with loads of people all over the world but then keep ones I want to myself or just my friends.

Here are my photo a day photos if anyone is interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nichola80/set...57612413281626/

They aren't on a guess pass so there may be a couple of gaps dates wise.

Trouble with flickr is that you have to pay to have large amounts of pics on there. Picasa from google is free and works just as well i think. (I've got both) You send your pics on picasa to the people you want via your email. You can have it on your system and then create web albums too.

Cx

Hi.

I too am a big user of flickr and think its great!!

Generally I mark my photographs for public view and have never had any problems.

I do pay a small yearly fee because its an upgraded account and I have SO many photos on there but it is only small (maybe ten dollars or similar per year)

However my husband who is the main BT internet email address in the house has his bigger account free!

As said before you do need a yahoo account, and we have a second flickr site between us (husband and I) for our photography business.

This allows us to put 100 pics or so up on the site (or as many as we want) which are marked private and then viewers need a password to access them. We give the bride and groom the password, they pass it to who they want to see the pics.

I love the site.

However it can be addictive much like this site if you are after opinions of your work!!

I think many use it though to share photographs easily and for that its brilliant! :o

I do pay a small yearly fee because its an upgraded account and I have SO many photos on there but it is only small (maybe ten dollars or similar per year)

However my husband who is the main BT internet email address in the house has his bigger account free!

Why are you not taking advantage of the free Flickr too? If you use one of the sub accounts on the BT email service you could have your account for free too! My husband is the main account holder for our BT account but me and my son have Flickr Pro through our sub accounts. My son doesn't use his BT email account for anything else.

I have been uploading photo's to mine since being inspired by Nichola. :o Most of mine are public, just some of my daughters birthday parties with other peoples children which are private. The web address for mine is in my profile. xD I must say it is great and I am planning on slowly getting all of my photos on it as it is so easy to organise them and search for particular photos.

Thanks everyone for your replies - much appreciated!

I have now signed up for a yahoo account have begun to upload my photos - bearing in mind the number of photos I have it may take me sometime!!!

Nichola - thank you for sharing the link to your Photo a Day photos - really cool! How did you get involved - sounds and looks like a really good project. I have a new camera coming my way for my birthday so would be good to have something to use it for as well as for work and the usual occasions.

Thanks everyone once again for your replies,

Yes, I pay for mine but I bought a few years worth of subscription when the exchange rate against the dollar was really good so it was only like £9 for the year or something.

I started the project because some else I knew was doing it and suggested I have a go. I started doing it while I was off work after injuring my foot back in 2007 and just haven't stopped yet!

Nichola - thank you for sharing the link to your Photo a Day photos - really cool! How did you get involved - sounds and looks like a really good project. I have a new camera coming my way for my birthday so would be good to have something to use it for as well as for work and the usual occasions.

It is quite addictive once you get started! I have struggled with mine on occasions with moving house as there just wasn't much time to think about photo's. However, I think about the photo's I am going to take everyday now and never leave the house without my camera! :o

If it helps and you're still looking, I use a website called TotSpot. My son and daughters both have their own little profile on here of things they are doing special firsts etc and I also have photos. YOu can invite people to become their friends and they can see how they are doing. I have a few friends that do it and it's really nice (also good way of keeping in touch with far away auntie!!)

Helen